Pages

Wednesday, September 9, 2026

Super Useful Lemons from Costco in Sand City (outside Monterey), California by Ruth Paget

Super Useful Lemons from Costco in Sand City (outside Monterey), California by Ruth Paget 

On my family’s recent outing for groceries, we bought a 3-pound bag of lemons for $5.99 (as of 9-5-2026) at the Costco in Sand City, California outside Monterey. 

Some quick and easy uses for lemons include squeezing it in or over the following items: 

-iced Darjeeling tea 

-Italian sparkling water

-lemonade

-fruit salad 

-poached or fried fish 

-rice pilaf

-deep-fried Monterey Bay calamari (squid) 

I also learned from my Greek-American roommate’s mom that you can add lemon to:

-homemade or canned chicken noodle soup - (if you are using canned chicken noodle soup, you might want to add crushed garlic and chopped parsley as well)

-roast chicken and potatoes along with garlic, olive oil, and oregano before roasting it

-purée of canned white cannellini beans with lemon juice, crushed garlic, salt, white pepper, and olive oil for a simple bean dip – (I also have done this with black beans and borlotti beans to make simple dips) 

My favorite lemon recipe to make with lemons is marinated lemon and garlic shrimp that I put on skewers and grill with oregano sprinkled on at the end with sea salt.  I made this all the time when I lived in polar vortex Germany during a swine flu epidemic and believe this dish saved my life. 

These are my favorite savory dishes to make with lemons. For sweet dishes, I like lemon meringue pie and lemon bar cookies. 

Happy Cooking! 

By Ruth Paget


-author Eating Soup with Chopsticks, Marrying France, and Europe's Lessons written during overseas duty in Germany + 5 other Kindle books

-developer of the Novgorod and Bento War Games + 8 Classical Western Civilization War Games

-developer of food and beverage knowledge games

-creator of online exhibits about San Miguel Arcangel Mission, French baguette making, and the Carmel Valley History Center

-creator of French travel and culture games

-writer of 1900+ Central Coast California lifestyle blogs

-family genealogist

-developer of 9 music theory games