Pages

Tuesday, November 8, 2022

New Mexico's Real Dishes by Ruth Paget

New Mexico’s Real Dishes by Ruth Paget 

I have been eating spicy Tex-Mex food since I was a teenager in Detroit (Michigan) and still love it. 

However, I would like to try some of the Hispanic food I read about in Dishing Up New Mexico: 145 Recipes from the Land of Enchantment by Dave DeWitt in restaurants. 

I would like to order the following dishes from Mexican restaurants and they might interest other restaurant goers, too: 

-chilaquiles en salsa chipotle 

I have eaten this dish once and liked the fried tortilla chips coated in spicy tomato-pepper-onion-cilantro salsa topped with melted cheese. The chilaquiles I ate at Norma’s Diner in Salinas (California - now the 31st Restaurant) came with two over-easy eggs and sliced avocado. That was breakfast fit for a king, and it tastes great with piping hot coffee. 

-creamy green chile chicken soup 

-Anasazi refried beans made with bacon not lard 

-jalapeño – cheddar cornbread 

-summer squash with red serrano peppers 

-chile con queso de cabro (goat cheese chile dip) 

-green chile and goat cheese muffins 

I make this with cheddar and jalapeño peppers as a home cure for colds. 

-chicken braised in white wine, garlic, and green chiles 

This is a short list of recipes, which I can make at home, but it is fun to get some exotic cuisine for take out once a week, too. 

There are many good recipes for familiar and new dishes in Dishing Up New Mexico: 145 Recipes from the Land of Enchantment by Dave DeWitt; I recommend it for home cookbook reference shelves and take out orders. 

By Ruth Paget, author of Eating Soup with Chopsticks and Marrying France


Click for Ruth Paget's Books