Pages

Saturday, November 19, 2016

Going Whale Watching in Monterey Bay (California) with Juilliard Graduate Florence Paget and Savvy Mom Ruth Paget





Going Whale Watching in Monterey Bay (California) with Juilliard Graduate Florence Paget and Savvy Mom Ruth Paget



There was limited seating on the field trip to go whale watching with my daughter’s Waldorf School in Monterey, California, so I did not go along as a chaperone.  Instead, I would be the point man on land.

“Call me if you need Coast Guard Rescue.  I’ll get helicopter rescue and boats if you need it,” I told Florence’s teacher.

Her teacher did not laugh.  He got my number to be called after 911 in case of emergency.  I was going to write in a cafĂ© across from the wharf while the kids were out in the Bay.

I helped zip jackets for the windy field trip.  I loved seeing the parents get on the boat with binoculars and flutes.

“Stand by the parents with flutes,” I said to Florence.  The boats have to stay 100 yards away from the porpoise and dolphin pods and whales, but these animals and the sea otters and brown pelicans come very close to the boats, especially if summoned by flute music.

The whales even swim under the boats and thwack them with their tails.  This causes chatter to die down and provides as much thrill as diving on a roller coaster.  Even the smallest humpback whales are 42 feet long and could probably overturn a boat if they wanted to.

Whales tend to surface, glide, and leave a stream of brown, smelly debris behind them.  You spend a lot of time on the boat moving around to see the whales as a guide tells you about cetaceans (whales, porpoises, dolphins and so on).

The Monterey Bay has a dense concentration of marine mammals due to the offshore canyon, which is one mile deep.  The Canyon keeps the water cool.  Even in summer, the breezes off Monterey Bay are cold.  Many tourists are unpleasantly surprised by the weather in their shorts and short-sleeved shirts.

While I was sipping chai and eating a cinnamon bun, the kids were scurrying around trying to see whales in 1 o’clock, 5 o’clock, and 7 o’clock positions.

When I went out to the wharf to get Florence, her face was cold and red.  She had kept her jacket zipped up.

“Dolphins are so cute,” she said.

“Would you like a hot chocolate,” I asked.

“Yes.”  She got one of these and a chocolate chip cookie.

I knew in the age of Harry Potter that she was proud she was brave enough to go whale watching alone.

By Ruth Paget - Author of Eating Soup with Chopsticks and Marrying France

Click here for:  Ruth Paget's Amazon Books




Ruth Paget Selfie