Pages

Thursday, February 22, 2018

Sampling Thai Cuisine with Juilliard Graduate Florence Paget by Savvy Mom Ruth Paget




Sampling Thai Cuisine with Juilliard Graduate Florence Paget while Reviewing for the Monterey County Weekly (Circulation: 200,000) - Savvy Mom Ruth Paget



I loved the Thai food that I sampled at Baan Thai Restaurant in Seaside (California) that reminded me of my life at the University of Chicago when I was in college there.

I queried my editor at the Monterey County Weekly (Circulation: 100,000) about doing an article on Baan Thai.  She asked me to hold off and do an article on a Thai restaurant in Marina called My Thai that had just opened up.

I eventually took Florence out to this restaurant and Baan Thai several times to sample Thai food as a cultural outing.  You can learn about world history through studying the trade practices and history of spices and food ingredients.  As we ate I would tell her about the information I looked up.

I wrote the following article on My Thai restaurant:

“Thai food is totally individual, befitting a country which has never been conquered, yet it has similarities to both Indian and Chinese food,” notes Charmaine Soloman in The Thai Cookbook: A Complete Guide to the World’s Most Exciting Cuisine.

I decided to see how My Thai in Marina (CA) honors its Indian heritage.  On a recent lunch visit, I ordered Panang curry with shrimp.

There is a major difference between Indian and Thai curries.  For example, the chile paste used to prepare Panang curry is made with many fresh ingredients like cilantro roots, lemon grass, galangal, and kaffir lime zest whereas Indian curries rely on more dry spices for flavors.

I have perused many cookbooks at home to make Panang curry, my favorite Thai dish.  The waiter told me that they thickened the curry by letting it simmer a long time and not adding anything to it like crushed peanuts at My Thai.

My Thai takes no shortcuts in the kitchen, but does not keep customers waiting long for their food.  The curry I ordered arrived piping hot within minutes, tickled my nose with a sweet aroma of shrimp paste and coconut cream.


The orange-pink color of the curry matched that of the plump shrimp.  The orange-pink color contrasted nicely with the green beans and green peppers, sweet red peppers, and carrots.

The sweet-and-savory curry no doubt got its salty flavor from Thailand’s namm pla fish sauce.  I ate each curry-coated vegetable, leaves of Asian basil, and shrimp with bites of flavorful rice.

The carrots and green beans were crisper than what I had expected, but that did not keep me from eating them; I did not want to waste any curry.

The Panang curry came as part of a lunch with a cup of hot-and-sour soup, which had tofu, mushrooms, and slices of galangal in it.

The Thais use galangal like the Chinese use ginger, which it resembles in appearance.

Galangal’s flavor makes me think of biting into perfume that lingers on the tongue.  The woody slices in the soup may not be to everyone’s liking, but I ate mine.

I drank a Thai iced tea made with black tea, sugar, and a healthy does of cream.  This drink is a particularly good antidote for putting out chile fires, if you order spicy food.

The default spiciness of the food at My Thai is mild, so be sure to ask for spicy food, if you like that.

The food was so good that I came back for a weekend lunch with my husband Laurent.  We started our meal with orders of chicken satay and fried shrimp rolls.

The satay was made of flattened, marinated chicken breasts.  Their bright yellow color hinted at turmeric in the marinade and their sweet flavor signaled the use of coconut cream as well.

The grilled chicken came with a peanut dipping sauce, cucumber relish, and strands of carrot and cabbage.  The peanut sauce was rich.  I liked refreshing my palate with the sweet relish.  The tender chicken meat made me want to make a meal out of my appetizer.


The fried shrimp rolls that Laurent ordered looked like skinny baseball bats with shrimp.  They came with a sweet sauce that accentuated the flavor of the shrimp.  We both liked this dish.  We felt we had made a gastronomic discovery.

I drank a Thai Singha beer with the appetizers I ordered.   This crisp lager reminds me of Corona and goes well with spicy food.  Laurent ordered the most well-known Thai dish as his main course, Pad Thai, while I chose Dusit’s Delicious Duck.

The stir-fried noodles and tofu in Pad Thai hearken back to Thai food’s Chinese heritage, yet the salty, sweet, and sour flavor of the dish make it uniquely Thai.

Laurent ordered his version of beef Pad Thai.  It came with a generous helping of crushed peanuts on top as a garnish.  Laurent liked the Pad Thai, but could only eat half of it due to its size.

My Thai calls its version of roast duck Dusit.  Many slices of duck with the skin intact flavored by a medley of vegetables made up of baby bok choy, carrots, sweet red pepper, bamboo shoots, mushrooms, and onion made up the dish.

The baby bok choy tasted especially good with the duck, offsetting the duck’s richness.

There were ample servings of meat.  We were able to take home boxes of midnight snacks.

The Bangkok-born owner said that he serves Thai food as it is prepared in Thailand.  In the few months that My Thai has been open, the owner has cultivated a regular clientele, who love the authentic Thai cooking.


By Ruth Paget - Author of Eating Soup with Chopsticks and Marrying France

Click here for:  Ruth Paget's Amazon Books


Ruth Paget Selfie