Pages

Thursday, April 18, 2019

Cooking Spanish Food - Part 1 - with Savvy Mom Ruth Paget

Cooking Spanish Food – Part 1 - with Savvy Mom Ruth Paget

I volunteered to cook a Spanish anniversary meal for Laurent with little Florence as a guest one year when we lived in Wisconsin.  Spanish food is similar to what is made in Languedoc and the Pays Basque, which share the PyrenĂ©es mountain region between them.

I took out my copy of Penelope Casas’ cookbook The Food and Wine of Spain to look up recipes.  This cookbook always makes me think of love as Casas described how she and her Spanish boyfriend sampled tapas (appetizers) in the “tasca” bars of Madrid.

That sweet story made me think of eating in Chicago’s many ethnic restaurants with Laurent when we first dated.

I read through Casas’ recipes and came up with my basic menu:

-Ensalada San Isidro
-Gambas al ajillo (garlic shrimp)
-Roast lamb with white beans
-Brownies (These are not Spanish, but Laurent and Florence both like them.)

I looked through our wines and wrote out our menu on a piece of bordered stationery with a rose on it.

This menu replaced the one that I had in a frame by the dining room table from our last meal.  I pasted the old menu in our menu journal of festive family meals.

Now all I had to do was deliver on my gourmet promises as I taught Florence how to do some things in the kitchen like mixing brownie batter.

The Ensalada San Isidro required marinating canned tuna (packed in oil) with red wine vinegar, minced onion, chopped parsley, and pepper overnight.  Casas’ recipe called for sour capers, but I did not use them, because Laurent does not like sour food.  Even without the capers, this marinated tuna salad was delicious and can also be used for sandwiches.

I liked rolling around the sound of “atĂșn escabechado” for marinated tuna on my tongue.  I added this savory concoction to hand torn romaine lettuce that Florence helped tear after I washed it.   She added sliced tomatoes, chopped cooked white asparagus (from France), and sliced onion that we had soaked in warm water to mellow the taste.  Green olives with red pimiento peppers made the salad colorful.

Ensalada San Isidro is basically a tuna salad, but it has flair.  The flair, of course, came from telling Florence that San Isidro is the patron saint of farmers and shepherds in Spain and that God sent him to help with plowing.

It may be tuna salad, but it has a college education as we say in the United States.  The hagiography required a little research, but it let me add some “spin” to my food offerings in addition to nice bread to soak up the dressing, which we only do at home not in restaurants.

The gambas al ajillo (garlic shrimp) needed no spin; everyone who lives in the Midwest starves for fresh seafood.  Most shrimp in Wisconsin is frozen, which is fine if it is frozen raw shrimp that you can thaw and cook like fresh seafood.

End of Part 1.

To be continued…


By Ruth Paget, author of Eating Soup with Chopsticks and Marrying France

Click here for:  Ruth Paget's Amazon Books