Pages

Saturday, May 25, 2019

Easter at Home - Part 1 - by Savvy Mom Ruth Paget

Easter at Home – Part 1 - by Savvy Mom Ruth Paget

Snow usually covered the ground at Easter in Detroit (Michigan) when I was a child, which meant I wore a new turtleneck sweater and pants instead of a dress to Easter lunch.

My family always spent Easter with my mother’s best friend’s Polish family.

Our hostess and her family members put together a meal that featured baked spiral cut ham with a huge bowl of hand-mashed potatoes with little pools of butter and paprika.  Hand-mashing the potatoes makes them creamy without any lumps.  I loved those and had several helpings.

Other Polish dishes would sometimes appear, too, like kielbasa pork sausage seasoned with garlic and salt.  To go with the kielbasa, there would be fresh, sharp horseradish flavored with beets along with rye and pumpernickel bread.

My mother and I liked to contribute to the food offerings and would a buy a loaf or two of sweet, Polish Easter bread (egg bread made with raisins and currants) in Hamtramack (called Poletown for the large number of Polish immigrants who settled there to work in the auto factories).

Every so often, a lamb made of butter with a red ribbon around its neck would decorate the Easter table.

I always admired the other table decorations: the Polish Easter eggs.  I liked the glistening dark brownish red eggs that obtained their color from being boiled with onion skins.

“Rubbing the eggs with vegetable oil gives them their sheen,” my mother’s friend told me.

One year eggs with a black base color and yellow, red, and green flower designs appeared on the buffet table.  These pysanky eggs came from eastern Poland near the Ukraine, which is famous for its egg decoration.  The Polish traditionally took their decorated eggs to church to be blessed.

My celebration of Polish Easter ended and my celebration of Greek Orthodox Easter began when I went to the University of Chicago and shared a dorm room with my Greek-American roommate.

On Greek Easter weekends, I went to my Greek roommate’s home in an outlying Chicago suburb.  No matter what the weather, a whole lamb is roasted on a spit in the backyard for Greek Easter lunch.  I especially liked the fresh salads with crumbled pieces of feta cheese, black Kalamata olives, and healthy dose of rigani (oregano relative) in oil and vinegar dressing. 

We did not eat one of the most attractive Easter specialties: large, lifesaver shaped loaves of bread with bright red colored eggs baked into them.  All the women relatives compared their golden, brown Easter loaves to see who had made the most elaborate latticework to encase red eggs baked in the circular loaf.

I no longer celebrated Greek Orthodox Easter when I married my French husband and moved to France.

End of Part 1

To be continued.

By Ruth Paget, author of Eating Soup with Chopsticks and Marrying France

Click here for:  Ruth Paget's Amazon Books