Pages

Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Lengua and a Lightbulb, Please by Savvy Mom Ruth Paget

Lengua and a Lightbulb, Please by Savvy Mom Ruth Paget

El Rancho Supermarket is one of my favorite spots for take-out food in Marina, California just outside Monterey.  Hispanic take-out food is still not well known, so my review for The Monterey County Weekly (Circulation: 200,000 – California) remains relevant:

Lengua and a Lightbulb, Please

Driving down Reservation Road in Marina (California), it is hard to miss the yellow billboard with El Rancho written on it.  And, you won’t want to miss the meal deals inside at this neighborhood supermarket’s butcher counter.

The menu above the counter lists items in Spanish only, but the names roll off the tongues of El Rancho’s customers, who resemble a mini United Nations.  The store manager said, “The whole neighborhood eats here.”

My recent perusal of Lonely Planet’s Whole Food Mexico gave me the idea to order a torta sandwich with carnitas (deep-fried pork).  My husband Laurent chose carne asada (lime-marinated steak) from the “ordenes” section.

We took our order slip from the counter and walked around the store to pick up water, Jumex mango nectar, and some Mexican sweet rolls.

The sweet rolls look like oversized croissants and buns with sugar and frosting on them.  You serve them to yourself on a tray and the cashier bags them.

We paid for everything at the cash register, picked up our order, and sat down at one of the kitchen tables surrounded by catfish in a freezer; brown-skinned yuccas and plantains in the produce section; and chips to our back.  Four-foot piñatas dangled over our heads.  The butchers chopping up cuts of meat provided entertainment.

My pudgy torpedo-shaped torta had a slightly crunchy crust and received a slathering of guacamole and shredded lettuce to cradle an inch-thick portion of deep-fried pork carnitas.

The salty pork made me wish for a beer, but you can only buy that as groceries.

The portions at El Rancho made several trips necessary to sample more of the menu offerings.

On my next visit, I tried another torta with chicharron (deep-fried pork skins).  If you like rich food that will fill you up for a day, this is definitely the sandwich for it.

The different filling did not change the price of the torta.  This principle operates for the whole menu board:  The listings under the tacos, for example, can also go in burritos or sopes.

Sopes are thick tortillas with turned-up edges that resemble three-inch piecrusts.  I tried one with lengua (beef tongue).  I thought the sope was doughy, but the tongue boiled with tomatoes, onions, and bell peppers merits a return trip.

Another El Rancho specialty I tried is chile verde, which I ate in a taco.  This pork selection is cooked with green onion, bell peppers, and a few jalapeño peppers:  the end result is a satisfying meal.

Burritos at El Rancho are large.  I chose adobada, spicy pork, as my filling.  The combination of spicy adobada and beans was delicious, but had my waistline crying for mercy.

The tamales are fat with carnitas or spicy chicken filling.

I also tried the chicken (gallina) meal.

I plan to return to sample more items:

-costillas (ribs) dinner
-burritos con camarron (shrimp burritos)
-quesadillas
-enchiladas

Along with the food, I liked learning all the Spanish words on the menu.

Once you start ordering items in Spanglish, the vocabulary will stick to you costillas at El Rancho.


By Ruth Paget, author of Eating Soup with Chopsticks and Marrying France

Click here for:  Ruth Paget's Amazon Books