Pages

Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Mother Lines Genealogy - Part 3 - by Savvy Mom Ruth Paget

Mother Lines Genealogy – Part 3 - by Savvy Mom Ruth Paget

The buckwheat pancakes Aunt Winnie served may have been an Americanization of the oatcakes made in Scotland.  Buckwheat pancakes taste like sour flour to me, but are supposed to be good for you.

I never cared for buckwheat pancakes, but I always ate two or three of them with maple syrup to please Aunt Winnie.

One Scottish food my family seems to have dropped once they settled in the U.S. was haggis.  Plenty of my ancestors must have eaten it though.  According to British Cookery, haggis has been around since the 15th century.

Haggis is a boiled sheep’s stomach stuffed with entrails and cooked.  Dare I say, “Thank goodness, there are not too many sheep in Wisconsin.”  However, I have eaten a Mexican version of this dish and liked it, so maybe I would like haggis.

British Cookery helped me understand what I thought was an anomaly in Aunt Winnie’s kitchen – using potato water in her homemade bread.  The cookbook said that the cooks in the north countries of England used potatoes more in their cookery, since it was one of the few crops that grows well in its colder climate.  I felt like I had discovered an heirloom ring when I read that.

Aunt Winnie baked bread daily.  She told me as she would toast a few slices, “You should always make as many foods as you can yourself.  It’s better for your health.”  She taught me how to make bread by hand and recognize the elastic feel of properly kneaded and twice risen and punched down yeast bread.

Following this philosophy of life, she managed to eat a diet rich in cream, butter, and salt till she was 106.

British dishes using alcohol did not make it on family menus in the Americas thanks to my maternal great-great grandmother Margaret Dunn Rowe.  Both she and my great-great grandfather Captain Stephen Sawle came from Cornwall, England in Great Britain’s southwestern peninsula that juts out into the Atlantic Ocean.

Cornwall is famous for shipwrecks and tin mines.  Aunt Winnie told me that her grandmother Margaret Dunn Rowe “wanted to come to America, so her husband would not go down with his ship.”  She was from a farming family in England.  She wanted to be landed gentry and there was plenty of land to buy in Wisconsin.

The Sawle Family did regain access to fish, though, when my grandfather Frank Sawle purchased a cabin on the Wisconsin River.  Pan fried fish is great fresh out of the water and freezes well.

End of part 3.

To be continued.

By Ruth Paget, author of Eating Soup with Chopsticks and Marrying France

Click here for:  Ruth Paget's Amazon Books