Pages

Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Shrimp Tacos at Michael's in Salinas, California by Ruth Paget

Fork-and-Knife Shrimp Tacos at Michael’s in Salinas, California by Ruth Paget 

I grew up eating hard, corn tortillas that came with Old El Paso taco kits. They were perfect as a hand-held item for parties, because they did not dirty your hands. 

It took me awhile to get used to soft, flour tortillas at taquerías in California, because your hands tend to get messy as you eat delicious items like shrimp tacos. I have found an easy solution for this, though. 

Shrimp tacos from Michael’s on Main Street Salinas (California) are a pretty nice neighborhood amenity, but you need a fork and knife to eat them. 

The shrimp at Michael’s are grilled in oil. When they are done cooking, they are placed in two soft tortillas with shredded Monterey Jack cheese and shredded lettuce. The tortillas are turned over to let them sizzle in the shrimp-infused oil before being wrapped up in aluminum foil. 

I like shrimp-infused oil, so the slippery tortillas do not bother me. I open up the tacos before eating them and squeeze on lime juice and pour on pico de gallo salsa made with chopped tomatoes, peppers, onions, and epazote for a vitamin C boost. 

I eat these scrumptious tacos with a fork and knife to keep my hands neat. If you want to imagine yourself on a beachside vacation in Mexico, I recommend the shrimp tacos at Michael’s in Salinas, California. 

By Ruth Paget, author Eating Soup with Chopsticks and Marrying France


Click for Ruth Paget's Books