Pages

Sunday, March 8, 2015

Visiting Taos (New Mexico) for Hispanic Christmas Celebrations with Juilliard Graduate Florence Paget and Savvy Mom Ruth Paget



Visiting Taos (New Mexico) for Hispanic Christmas Celebrations with Juilliard Graduate Florence Paget and Savvy Mom Ruth Paget



One year after Christmas my family took a vacation to New Mexico with my mother.

It took us a day to drive down California where we turned left at Needles to head towards New Mexico.  We saw Joshua Trees in Arizona.  The eroded rock on the way there clearly shows layers or strata.  I wanted to be a geologist and look for fossils in some of it.  Mt. Humphrey in Flagstaff, Arizona had snow on it.

We squealed when we saw the snow, because we had been living by the ocean in Monterey, California for several years.  We stayed overnight in Flagstaff and played in the snow.  Flagstaff is ski territory that sits 7,000 feet above sea level.  The pressure going up the mountains caused all my pens to leak ink in my purse.

On the way to Albuquerque, I suggested that we go to Taos, which is considered to be a great arts center.  The road there was very scenic.  It was narrow and squeezed between the Rio Grande River and huge mountains.  Sometimes you could see three ranges of mountains at a time.  The Rio Grande River even carved a valley in some places that looked like a miniature Grand Canyon.

We passed many roadside crosses with flowers, indicating where people had died in accidents.  All through Arizona and New Mexico, there were signs that read, “Don’t Drink and Drive.”

Taos was a treat.  I love peach-colored adobe buildings.  There was a lot of traffic getting into the central plaza area.  The locals must have hated the traffic I thought.

I was making a groupie pilgrimage to Taos.  Two of my favorite writing inspirational teachers had homes there: Nathalie Goldberg and Julia Cameron.  I had fun working through their books alone and with my first writing group.

Taos galleries sell a variety of things such as Navajo blankets, pottery, and jewelry.  I found the gallery that sells Nathalie Goldberg’s artwork and had my photo taken outside of it.  I like French provincial style for decorating, but I saw a glass-topped coffee table that I liked with a Wild West theme.  It was held up by bronze horse heads with flying manes at each end.

The plaza in Taos was all done in wood and adobe.  The adobe was restored and painted.  We went to some souvenir shops where I bought Florence a brown, lacquer cross.  Laurent bought a bolo tie with a buffalo on it.

All around the plaza were brown paper bags with sand in the bottom in them with a candle inside each bag that had been burned.  Later in the day, I learned that these are called luminarias and are usually placed outside on Christmas Eve.

We ate lunch at a charming, touristy place above the central plaza in Taos.  We had a window table where we could look out on the plaza and admire the luminarias that the restaurant had set up on its balcony.

We all ate chicken in some form.  I ate chicken mole.  Mole is a savory and spicy chocolate sauce with no sugar added to it.  The restaurant’s version of mole had more cinnamon in it than in the versions I had eaten previously.

We left Taos while the sun was still shining to drive down the curving road through Santa Fe.  We no doubt crossed the Santa Fe Trail, which pioneers followed on their way west.  We found no parking in Santa Fe and had to call it a day for any more tourism.


By Ruth Paget - Author of Eating Soup with Chopsticks and Marrying France

Click here for:  Ruth Paget's Amazon Books



Ruth Paget Selfie