Pages

Friday, March 6, 2015

Attending a Hindu Ganesh Puja with Juilliard Graduate Florence Paget and Savvy Mom Ruth Paget




Attending a Hindu Ganesh Puja with Juilliard Graduate Florence Paget and Savvy Mom Ruth Paget



One day as I was going through Florence’s weekly parent papers from her Waldorf School, I found an invitation to a Ganesh Puja. 

I knew the children were studying mythology and world religions at school and this optional activity supported that.  I was happy someone invited us to their home to participate in this activity.  I wanted to go, and my husband agreed that it would be a good introduction to the culture of India.

I liked getting the invitation, but it took some time to decipher.  It read as follows:

-       You are cordially invited for Ganesh Puja and Resurgence (Visarjan)
-       4 pm
-       Puja, Bhajans, and Potluck

We were to give our RSVP to the school office.

I asked Florence about Ganesh, the elephant god.

“We have been writing stories about him and drawing pictures of him,” she said.

“Typical Waldorf,” I thought to myself.

“He helps people get their dreams,” she continued.

After that comment, I looked up Ganesh in one of my mythology dictionaries and saw that he was described as “the remover of obstacles.”

I closed the book and talked with Florence.  “Your mom and dad are your Ganeshas.  We’ll do all we can to help you get your dreams,” I said.

“How would you like to eat at an Indian restaurant before we go to the Ganesh Puja?” I asked.

Florence knew the restaurant I was talking about and wanted to go, because I did lunches there with my writing group.  (I love chicken vindaloo, naan bread, spinach saag, and eggplant bartha.)

When we went to the Indian restaurant, I felt like I was Indiana Jones on an icon hunt.  I did not have to look very long to find a Ganesh decoration that I had overlooked on my previous visits.  Right at the entrance, the restaurant had a large stained glass window with Ganesh in it.

I showed Florence the stained glass window and said, “Look how Ganesh is dancing on the rat’s back.  The rat stands for your enemies,” I said.

“It does not,” Florence snapped.  “It stands for evil – bad stuff.”

I laughed and said with an increasingly high-pitched voice, “Mom is mean, scary, and heinous just like the Wicked Witch!”

“You are.  Be nice.  We’re in a restaurant,” Florence said as we were shown to our table.

Florence ate tandoori chicken that had been baked in a clay oven and naan bread.  She drank a sweet mango laasi made with yogurt and mangos.  Ganesh mom, me, had her usual order with nimbu pani to drink.  Nimbu pani is a sweet soda with spices sprinkled on top.

I asked Florence what the words on our Ganesh Puja invitation meant.

“Pujas are prayer rituals,” she said.  “We made clay Ganesh elephants to throw in the Carmel River as part of the puja,” she continued.

“Mud in the pebble stream,” I thought of our drought-stricken river.

“What are bhajans?”  I asked as I got another mango laasi for Florence.

“They are songs.  They tell about Hindu gods.  Our teacher sings them in Sanskrit and no one understands them,” she said.

I wanted Florence to learn about world religions and mythology to be a world citizen, but I also wanted to know exactly what went on in the classroom, too.  I was going to look at her drawings and “textbooks” that she wrote herself after that.  I trusted her teacher (he had a master's degree from Stanford), but I have always believed that parents should do things outside of class to support the curriculum.

We finished our Ksatriya caste warrior-king meals with rice pudding and got ready for the Ganesh Puja the next day.  We arrived at the appointed hour at a private home in Carmel.

We took off our shoes in the entry hall.  We looked at framed photos all around the house of bare feet in silver trays of water with flower petals strewn on them.  An altar with statues and flowers had been set up.

The puja began at 4 pm.  We sat on the floor and bhajans were said in Sanskrit.  The bhajans lasted two hours.

At the end of the bhajans, our host told us Ganesh broke off one of his tusks so that humans could write.  Writing and literature are still very important in the culture of India; I loved knowing the origins of Indian literary culture.  After a question-and-answer period, we set out for the Carmel River to toss in the Ganesh clay figurines.

I was thankful for the opportunity to be part of a home-based religious ceremony.  I wanted to know more about India, because I knew it was becoming the world’s most populous country.  I wished the Indian community would do cultural festivals at Monterey’s Wharf like the Greeks, Turks, and Italians, so I could learn more about the dancing, art, food, and music of the country. 

Most of all, I wanted adults to have the opportunity to learn about other cultures and not just children.


By Ruth Paget - Author of Eating Soup with Chopsticks and Marrying France

Click here for:  Ruth Paget's Amazon Books



Ruth Paget Selfie