Pages

Friday, January 5, 2018

Recounting PRC-Chinese Food Story to Juilliard Graduate Florence Paget with Savvy Mom Ruth Paget



Recounting PRC-Chinese Food Story to Juilliard Graduate Florence Paget by Savvy Mom Ruth Paget

I was introduced to Chinese food at an early age thanks to my older sister.  She worked as a waitress and later as a hostess at a Chinese restaurant while going to college, because she found out about staff meals.

My sister loved Chinese food, especially the food of Guangzhou (the area around Hong Kong, where most of America’s Chinese population came from to build the railroads in the US).  I think she ate something with shrimp, calamari, and mussels everyday.  She wanted me to like this nutritious food and learn how to make it, too.  The Chinese owners of the restaurant said they would take care of me on one of her shifts, so I could learn about Chinese food.

The food was “Chinese-American,” but this ersatz Chinese cuisine made Chinese railroad workers strong enough to connect the West Coast with the East Coast of the United States, so I eat my beef-broccoli with relish. 

When I talked to the editor at the Monterey County Weekly (Circulation: 200,000), she said she would love an article on Chinese food and asked me to write one.  She gave me the article word number, and away I went.

I have always taught my daughter Florence about China.  I knew she wanted to work in theatre and film when she grew up.  I told her that knowing about China is important, because they have a large film industry and a theatre tradition that she should study.

So, my article for the Monterey County Weekly is below.  Florence read my articles in addition to her schoolwork, so learned quite a bit about social studies due to my comments over dinner, too.  I wanted her to be a well-informed actress, singer, director, and or/or screenwriter – no matter what she chose to do.  My article on Chinese food follows.  Please note that editors choose headlines not the writers:

Egg Foo Yuck

My sister worked as a waitress at the Ho-Ho Inn, a Chinese restaurant, on Cass Street in Detroit, Michigan.  She sat a plate of Egg Foo Yung in front of five-year-old me.

I had a way with words and quickly renamed this, “Egg Foo Yuck.”  Tears ran down my cheeks as I thought about eating this worm-like mess of food.  The Chinese waiter came in and looked at me.

He took the Egg Foo Yuck and threw it in the garbage.  He went to the freezer and gave me one of those ice cream treats that Chinese restaurants serve – a coconut and mango combination.

My sister came in and glared at me.  George said, “She ate everything, so I gave her an ice cream.”  I smiled sweetly at George. My love for the Chinese people, if not their food began at that instant.

When I was fifteen, I raised money with 21 other young people to visit the Peoples’ Republic of China in 1979.  We wanted to see how a “developing” country was able to provide a stellar education for its students in addition to visiting the Great Wall and Forbidden City.

I dreaded the culinary side of the trip, though.  I did not like pork, which is China’s staple meat.  I was suspicious of all seafood except shrimp.

I impolitely took half of the serving plate full of sweet and sour shrimp when that appeared on the table.  My tour mates curbed this behavior by telling me that the shrimp were really cat, rat, and dog.

I subsisted on rice and soup broth for two weeks. I left unknown soup ingredients in my bowl.  I cringe now when I think of wasting food in a country that still had a collective memory of famine. (The Great Leap Forward)

At lunch on a commune outside Shanghai, the tour guide I sat with asked me if I would like some pork.

“No, thank you,” I politely responded.

She smiled and put a large spoonful of pork on my plate.

“Would you like some soup?” she asked.

She smiled and put a large spoonful of pork on my plate.

“Would you like some soup?” she asked.

“No, thank you,” I politely responded again.

She smiled and ladled some wonton soup into a bowl, which she placed in front of me.

I, “the foreign devil” recognized a lost battle.

“I’ll try a little of everything,” I said.

Our tour guide placed something hot, white and topped off with pork got placed in front of me.  The white stuff was bean curd – dou fu – tofu, in Japanese.

I tried the bean curd with pork and loved it.  I asked our tour guide, “Please tell the farm workers that Chinese food is delicious.”

In college, I began working for a “translation” company that was really a boutique public relations firm specializing in international trade.  Everyone at the firm knew how to do deal with Japanese and Chinese marketing work or learned to quickly.  (These were the most profitable accounts at the time.)  I had many opportunities to go out for “Chinese lunch” there, including dim sum and banquets at the restaurants downtown and in Chinatown.

I bought a wok when Florence was little and seasoned it.  I used a cookbook called The Encyclopedia of Chinese Food that listed forty different cooking techniques and said this was “just an abbreviated list” of techniques.

I had to relearn how to chop vegetables for these different cooking techniques.  (I used Tropp’s China Moon Cookbook to do this.)

One chopping pattern resembles a trapezoid.  I never thought I would see one of those again after taking the Scholastic Aptitude Test to get into the University of Chicago.

To cook Chinese food you have to supply your kitchen with things like oyster sauce, soy sauce, transparent noodles, rice wine, ginger root, garlic, and dehydrated shrimp.

I tried several dishes, but my family had its favorites: Cantonese rice (fried rice, eggs, chopped pork, shrimp, carrots, peas, and scallions – a kind of Chinese hash), egg drop soup (stirring the egg in is the hardest part), and stir-fried beef in oyster sauce.

When my daughter was little, I would show her China on the map and say, “Rice grows in southern China, where it is hot and rainy in summer.”

I would then point to northern China and say, “The Chinese grow wheat there for noodles and dumplings.”

I showed Florence how to fry bok choy and hoped she would visit China one day.

End of Article

By Ruth Paget, Author Eating Soup with Chopsticks and Marrying France

Click here for:  Ruth Paget's Amazon Books



Ruth Paget Selfie