Pages

Monday, January 22, 2018

Attending the Nutcracker Ballet in San Jose (California) with Juilliard Graduate Florence Paget by Savvy Mom Ruth Paget


Attending the Nutcracker Ballet in San Jose (California) with Juilliard Graduate Florence Paget by Savvy Mom Ruth Paget



The first time I saw the Nutcracker was with my elementary school class in Detroit, Michigan.

We went to see the Nutcracker at the Fisher Theatre by General Motors Headquarters in midtown Detroit.  All the girls in our class had bows in our hair, lacy dresses, and wore black patent leather shoes.  All the boys had vests on under their suits. 

Thanks to the auto industry, most of our families were –middle-middle class- in Detroit, but we were still considered disadvantaged.  Many of our parents made our clothes, so we could appear a lot richer than we were, but the GM head honchos knew better.  They made sure we participated in the cultural wealth of the auto industry as well as the kids in the suburbs as best they could.

We all liked the Nutcracker and tried to recreate the music in the Nutcracker and the ballet steps in the waiting area of the restaurant where we were going to eat – Lelli’s Banquet Room.

We knew we were spoiled.  Lelli’s was where all of Detroit’s Italian families ate.  We had been taking etiquette lessons and were going to get a light Italian lunch after the theatre.

This outing was a sit-down lunch not a buffet.  The waiters wore crisply ironed, white shirts with black bowties and black pants and shoes.

We ate a bowl of minestrone with Parmesan cheese that the waiters spooned over our bowls of soup.  They told us how nicely dressed up we were.

After that, we had 3-cheese lasagna, a salad with ranch dressing (Italians know American kids do not like oil and vinegar dressing), and sautéed peppers.

For dessert, we had spumoni ice cream with whipped cream.  This ice cream is a mix of pistachio, cherry, and vanilla ice cream with a maraschino cherry in it.  We had lemonade to drink.  We were happy, little smiling clams.

When I married my husband Laurent, we went to all sorts of performances of live dance, because we could walk to the theatre from our apartment in Marina City in Chicago.  We often received discounts by buying at the last minute, which we could do, because we lived downtown.

When the Bolshoi Ballet came to Chicago, I waited in line to pay full-price for tickets.  They performed the Nutcracker.  That performance made me feel like a little kid again even though I worked at a “Big City” audit and consulting firm.

The last time I saw the Nutcracker was with my daughter Florence in San Jose, California.  I drove up to San Jose in Silicon Valley from Monterey, California. 

Very few women drive in testosterone-pumping Silicon Valley, but I had made it through the freeways in testosterone-pumping Norfolk, Virginia to get to the Naval Shipyards, so the men on the road just passed me and smiled that I was in the slow lane with a child aboard.

We attended the show in San Jose as part of Florence’s Big Sur Charter School class trip.  Florence and I had seats on the main floor.

After the show, I took Florence out for Mexican food, so I drove around San Jose until I found a Mexican restaurant.

The place we went to had a mariachi band that made us feel like we had taken a trip to Baja.

Florence and I had the same meal, which started with chicken noodle soup with lots of chicken meat chunks, carrots, and pasta in it.  Then, we had cheese enchiladas with salsa verde, refried beans, Spanish rice, lettuce, and California black olives on the side.  For dessert, we had a thick, creamy flan (full of calcium for strong bones) and horchata (cinnamon-rice drink).

When I lived in Germany, my daughter Florence bought my husband Laurent and me a 3-foot Nutcracker doll to go with the snow weighing down the pine tree branches outside our terrace window.

It was a sign that we had all grown up happy and laughing.


By Ruth Paget, author of Eating Soup with Chopsticks and Marrying France

Click here for:  Ruth Paget's Amazon Books




Ruth Paget Selfie