Pages

Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Visiting Montlouis in the French Pyrenees Mountains with Savvy Mom Ruth Paget

Visiting Montlouis in the French Pyrenees Mountains with Savvy Mom Ruth Paget


After our busy day in Barcelona, I was happy to sleep in while it rained outside the next day.

When I got up, we went to visit a church from the 7th century lost in the mountains.

The Black Madonna in the church impressed me.  She sat upright with her child like those in the Uffizi did obtaining authority from her role as a mother.  I knew the story of Isis, Osiris, and Horus from reading Egyptian mythology as a child, so I associated this statue with one of protecting families.

We went to Puigcerda to buy some purchases for our return like Manchego cheese, paper, and pens.

We went to a postcard exposition in the town hall in the city of Montlouis.  The postcards detailed the history of the town and its inhabitants.  I could have stayed there all day, but we had to pack to go to Nantes.

My in-laws and brother-in-law were going back by car.  I bought books all over and those weighty souvenirs would go back by car while Laurent and I would go back by train via Toulouse and then up the coast during the night.

The family dropped us off at the train station in Perpignan.  Laurent and I bought newspapers and magazines and read these until the train came in and stayed up reading till we arrived in Nantes.

My father-in-law picked us up and went to a bakery and bought buttery croissants for us.

Our honeymoon was over.  While we ate our croissants, my father-in-law said, “You have to get a job, Ruth, while Laurent finishes his MBA now.”

“I’ll work on my cover letter and resume,” I said as I worked on my second croissant and smiled about my fun honeymoon.

By Ruth Paget, Eating Soup with Chopsticks and Marrying France

Click here for:  Ruth Paget's Amazon Books




Ruth Paget Selfie