Pages

Saturday, August 4, 2018

Visiting the Tate Gallery (London) with Savvy Mom Ruth Paget

Visiting the Tate Gallery (London) with Savvy Mom Ruth Paget


Laurent, Florence, and I ate breakfast together before Laurent went to work with his English consultant colleagues. 

I love English breakfasts with broiled tomato halves, piles of bacon slices, and over easy eggs made correctly.  (I cannot make over easy eggs, so I like ordering them in restaurants.)

When Laurent left for work, I washed Florence up.  She likes a little toast and lots of jelly.  I wanted her to be cute for touring around London Town in her stroller throne.  I wanted to look cute in my mini skirt and cool sunglasses.

We took the Underground (Subway) and transferred at the Mile End Station.  Mile End is a nice place to transfer when you have a baby, because you can walk from one platform to another.

When I arrived at the Tate Gallery, though, there was a large stairway to climb with no handicap access elevator or ramp that I could push Florence’s stroller up.

I picked Florence and her stroller up and hauled them both up the steps.  I bruised my legs in the process and laughed about my injuries all for the sake of art.

Once inside the Tate Gallery, I did notice that the Tate Galley had diaper-changing facilities in the bathrooms.  I made sure toddler Florence had fresh undies and went off to view the galleries.

The Tate Gallery specializes in exhibiting art from the 1850s to the present.

The Clare Foundation Gallery inside the Tate houses the immense Turner Collection.  You can trace Turner’s development as an artist in this collection, if you want.

People who like Impressionism are usually ga-ga over Turner, because they see him as being influential on Impressionism, especially Monet.  I thought Turner used too much yellow to show his ships in churning ocean storms.

All of his works were overly varnished, which makes you squint looking at them from all angles of vision.

Navy, merchant marine, people who grew up on coasts, or who have ancestors who were ship captains like buying Turner-inspired art of ships churning in the sea, marinas with boats, and fish market scenes to remind them of the hardships their families have overcome to obtain money and skills.

The Pre-Raphaelite Room at the Tate Gallery had paintings by Rossetti and Burne-Jones.  The Pre-Raphaelites loved women with wavy, auburn hair.  (I thought of Neil Young’s song Cinnamon Girl when I looked at these paintings.)

I noted in my journal:  Brunettes finally get their day in the sun.  Blondes and red heads have monopolized film and TV forever.

One of the modern works of art in the Tate caught my eye:  David Buery’s sculpture consisting of stone fragments strewn about the floor.  I wanted to diagram this work from a bird’s eye view.

“What fun to make this,” I thought.

I like the Tate Gallery.  Modern art is mostly protest art.  All modern artists are classically trained to draw and paint like Raphael, but choose to sell mounds of feces and plaster of Paris bodies in jail installation scenes for a reason usually.

Buyers know protest art reaps millions later, if you look at Basquiat’s paintings, Sark’s Journals (not yet, but it’s coming), and Rauschenberg’s Drip Paintings.
Rauschenberg and his widow ended up being richer than the artist’s agent.

There are two books that are very good at helping Renaissance art lovers learn to understand, if not love modern art:  The Painted Word and From Bauhaus to our House by Tom Wolfe.

Buying protest art helps artists survive and their dealers who often support them.  However, buyers who invest in protest art without supporting solutions to the problems depicted are also “suits” and “establishment” benefitting from tax laws to write off champagne and nourishing appetizers at buffet dinners for openings or “vernissages” as business expenses.


By Ruth Paget, Author of Eating Soup with Chopsticks and Marrying France


Click here for:  Ruth Paget's Amazon Books



Ruth Paget Selfie