Pages

Thursday, February 14, 2019

Chicago, Illinois: Long Weekend Vacation - Part 2 - by Savvy Mom Ruth Paget

Chicago, Illinois: Long Weekend Vacation – Part 2 – by Savvy Mom Ruth Paget


That night after a swim and shower, our little group went to Trader Vic’s for dinner.  Trader Vic’s was a kitschy Polynesian place with tiki torches blowing fake flames and big masks on booth walls with long, straw hair watching over your meal.

My mom’s friend’s sister who babysat picked out the restaurant and had recommendations for me.  I considered her a tutor in art and fine food. 

When she babysat me, we went to the Detroit Institute of the Arts and would devote ourselves to one type of art and its galleries at a time:  Egyptian, Greek, European armor, Dutch, French, and African with an exit stop at the Diego Rivera Mural of the Ford assembly line.

Our après-museum visit place for lunch was Lelli’s Italian Restaurant.  I ate the same thing that was invariably good: pickled vegetables and assorted salume antipasti, lasagna Bolognese, and spumoni ice cream.  I still love that combination.

At Trader Vic’s, I ate rumaki – fried chicken livers with water chestnuts held together with fried bacon strips on a toothpick.  I was surprised I liked that dish.  I also liked the shrimp and chicken curry I ate, which is similar to South African peri-peri I discovered later in life.

My tutor set out the agenda for the young teens on vacation.

“Visiting Chicago is not all about eating in restaurants.  The restaurants here have excellent food, but there are world-class cultural and educational institutions here that I will take you to,” she said.

“Such as?” I asked, knowing full well that cultural outings came with lunch afterwards for kids.

She smiled at me and her son and named the following 5 places:

-the Shedd Aquarium
-the Adler Planetarium
-the Chicago Institute of the Arts
-the Field Museum of Natural History
-the Museum of Science and Industry

My tutor’s son and I both thought those places sounded great.  I knew my mom’s friend’s sister wanted to visit these places as well.

She wanted photos of us on the esplanades around these institutions and in front of the museum porticos with columned façades by Lake Michigan.

End of Part 2

To be continued.


By Ruth Paget, author of Eating Soup with Chopsticks and Marrying France

Click here for:  Ruth Paget's Amazon Books