Pages

Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Persian Salad and Tea in Monterey (California) - Part 1 - by Savvy Mom Ruth Paget

Persian Salad and Tea in Monterey (California) by Savvy Mom Ruth Paget


In search of a 60-cent package of round pita bread, I used about a dollar’s worth of gas driving from Seaside (California) to the International Market in Monterey across town, which was the only place that sold pita bread in the early 2000s in Monterey County California.

The International Market sells an array of ethnic foods from the Middle East, India, Brazil, and other countries.

When we arrived, I looked at pita bread and long, thin sheets of lavash bread, yogurt drinks (laban), and trays of figs.  Florence sniffed boxes of tea from places like England, Morocco, and Persia (Iran).

“This tea smells the best,” Florence said holding a reddish brown, half-pound box of Persian tea with wavy Arabic letters decorating the package.

The ingredients list said the tea was made with black Darjeeling and Earl Gray teas.  Earl Gary contains Bergamot orange-flavored leaves. 

According to Margaret Shaida’s cookbook The Legendary Cuisine of Persia, this combination approximates the flavor of Iranian tea grown by the Caspian Sea that Iranians enjoy so much that none is available for export.

“If we buy this tea, we will have to buy a flowery carpet and brass samovar to go with it,” I teased my daughter Florence as I looked at the $8 price tag.  So, I was going to spend $8.60 instead of 60 cents – parenting is like that I have discovered.

“What’s a samovar?” Florence asked.

“Iranians and Russians both use them, but they look different,” I said as I began to explain.

“For tea made with a samovar, you put a bit of the strong tea in a cup and add water to it from a pot of really strong tea that sits above hot water,” I answered.  (I own a Turkish samovar now, which I use when it is not displayed as anthropological artwork.)

Florence kept smelling the box of highly perfumed loose tea and said, “This smells divine” as we looked at cans of hard-to-find items like fava beans, packages of vermicelli pasta, and unknown items in brightly colored cans with lettering I failed to place. 

Were the alphabets Thai? Hindu? Burmese?

End of Part 1

To be continued 


By Ruth Paget, author of Eating Soup with Chopsticks and Marrying France

Click here for:  Ruth Paget's Amazon Books