Pages

Sunday, February 10, 2019

Making Moroccan Couscous by Savvy Mom Ruth Paget

Making Moroccan Couscous by Savvy Mom Ruth Paget


My usual dining fare when I lived in Paris (France) for seven years was French food.  My no-surprises dinner routine came to a halt when one of my childhood friends gave me a cookbook called Mediterranean Food by Claudia Roden, which was a tie-in book for a BBC series the author hosted on the same topic.

I perused the pages of Mediterranean Cookery and discovered the subtly spiced cuisine and culture of the North African country of Morocco.  I loved Roden’s section on traditional cooking utensils and finally discovered that the clay pot with a triangular lid I had seen in markets was called a tagine.

The stew made in a tagine was also called a tagine I learned from Roden.  I thought one word for two different things made language learning easy. 

I read through the recipes and made preserved lemons with and salt and used them to flavor a fish and tomato tagine. 

My husband Laurent wanted a savory tagine, so I next tried a tagine chicken stew flavored with cinnamon, ginger, and saffron served over the tiny pasta called couscous.  He thought that was divine.  It certainly smells good when you lift the tagine cover.

When we came back to the US, a bookseller recommended Paula Wolfert’s cookbook Couscous and Other Good Foods from Morocco to me to practice my Moroccan cooking skills in Madison, Wisconsin.  I could buy the ingredients in a university town with no problem in the 1990s.

I used Wolfert’s cookbook to make a Moroccan-inspired salad of torn iceberg lettuce leaves with cashews strewn on top of them and tangerine sections surrounding the salad.  I use orange-blossom water to make a dressing for this salad that makes Wisconsin winters feel warm.

The cashews and tangerine sections seem to be a nut and seed protein combination.  The tangerine flesh surrounds seeds, so I thought I had made a sweet tasting sirloin steak.  (I need Purdue University’s chemical engineers to weight in on that judgment, but the salad tastes good in any case.)

I still love cookbooks that list pantry items, provide photos of ingredients used in the recipes, and provide drawings of traditional cooking items used in other cultures.  I feel I can stay at home yet travel with cookbooks like these.

The following cookbooks about Morocco might encourage you to try some of the dishes from this country:

Mediterranean Cookery by Claudia Roden

The Food of Morocco by Paula Wolfert

Couscous and Other Good Food from Morocco by Paula Wolfert


By Ruth Paget, author of Eating Soup with Chopsticks and Marrying France

Click here for:  Ruth Paget's Amazon Books