Pages

Monday, April 27, 2020

Oyster Stew Recipe Created by Ruth Paget

Oyster Stew Recipe Created by Ruth Paget

My Wisconsin ancestors ate oyster stew on New Year’s Eve made with fresh oysters shipped in from the East Coast. 

I taught myself how to make oyster stew when I lived in Stuttgart, Germany during what I called polar vortex winters whooshing down from the Arctic.  I had to make my oyster stew with canned oysters, but still thought it tasted pretty good in Germany’s dark winters.

Serves 4

Ingredients:

-1 tablespoon olive oil
-1 large chopped onion
-1 teaspoon dry garlic
-1 peeled and chopped Idaho potato
-2 (8-ounce) cans oysters – juice separated from oysters
-2 (32-ounce) containers seafood stock
-1 pint cream
-oyster crackers (optional)

Steps:

1-Sauté onion and garlic in a soup pot for 5 minutes.

2-Add potatoes, seafood stock, oyster juice, and potato cubes to the soup pot.

3-Bring soup to a boil and let boil for 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

4-Remove the pot from the heat and add the cream and oysters.

5-Bring soup to a boil again and let boil 5 minutes.

Serve with oyster crackers.

By Ruth Paget, author Eating Soup with Chopsticks and Marrying France


Click here for:  Ruth Paget's Amazon Books



Ruth Paget Selfie