Pages

Friday, December 28, 2018

Domo Arigato: Meals at Michi Cafe - Part 2 - Reviewed by Savvy Mom Ruth Paget




Domo Arigato: Meals at Michi CafĂ© – Part 2 – Reviewed by Savvy Mom Ruth Paget


After a little research in a Buddhist temple cookbook called The Legacy of the Japanese in Hawaii, I found a recipe for the salad dressing made with rice vinegar, sugar, and a little soy sauce.

A mound of lightly, fried shrimp, eggplant, green beans, and turnips came with one of my friend’s grilled teriyaki chicken dish, making me think he ended up with the best value for his money.

The Japanese got the idea for deep frying foods during the 16th century from the Portuguese, on of the first nation to have contact with Japan.

Tempura shrimp stay nice and long when you cut along their underside.  I like the way the Japanese fry chicken with the skin on to keep them moist, but other people take the skin off.

My daughter Florence liked the beef teriyaki she ordered and said it was “juicy and tender.”  I like the way Yamato serves it teriyaki sauce on the side, if you ask them.

Teriyaki can be too sweet for some people.  It is a syrupy sauce make from soy sauce, rice wine, and sugar.

One of my friends complimented me on exposing my daughter to so many different cuisines.

I laughed and said she liked beef in various forms – Korean bulgogi, Mexican carne asada, and Japanese beef teriyaki.

We all tried the breaded pork cutlets that one of my friends ordered and loved the.  This dish is called tonkatsu and was adopted from the Dutch.  A spicy sauce accompanied the dish, but she said the cutlets were so juicy that they did not need any sauce.

The eel I ordered came over rice with thick, soy sauce in an orange-lidded box with flowers on it.  I had never eaten eel.  The flesh was fatty, but tasted good. 

Green tea-flavored ice cream came with our meal as dessert. 

Article end

The real sweet ending to this article is that you can buy green tea ice cream in Asian markets now.

The following cookbooks can help readers become familiar with Japanese menu items and cooking methods:

Japanese Soul Cooking:  Ramen, Tonkatsu, Tempura, and more from the Streets and Kitchens of Tokyo and Beyond by Tadashi Ono and Harris Salat

Washoku:  Recipes from the Japanese Home Kitchen by Elizabeth Andoh

Japanese Cooking: A Simple Art by Shizuo Tsuji


By Ruth Paget, author of Eating Soup with Chopsticks and Marrying France


Click here for:  Ruth Paget's Amazon Books



Ruth Paget Selfie