Pages

Friday, December 28, 2018

Domo Arigato: Meals at Michi Cafe - Part 1 - Reviewed by Savvy Mom Ruth Paget


Domo Arigato:  Michi Café - Part 1 - Reviewed by Savvy Mom Ruth Paget


I became a restaurant reviewer for The Monterey County Weekly (Circulation: 200,000) after sending in published samples of work I had done on the Olympic Games in Barcelona for newspapers in New Zealand and Rhode Island; I lived in Paris at the time and used the very first fax machines to send out queries to obtain published samples that all newspapers still asked for in the 2000s.

I had lived in Japan as an exchange student in high school, so one of the restaurants I asked to review a restaurant that served Japanese home-style cuisine – The Yamato Café (Now the Michi Café).  It is located in Marina, California. 

I wanted Monterey County Weekly readers to know that there was more than sushi in Japanese cuisine:

Domo Arigato – “Thank-You”

I go to the Yamato (Now Michi Restaurant) in Marina (CA), because this is where the Japanese people in town eat.  That is always a good sign.

Yamato’s interior reminds me of Japan, although there is more space between tables than one would find in Japan.

There is a blonde-colored wood sushi bar that seats six people, an imitation cherry blossom tree, rice paper windows, a karaoke bar, and a TV.

Everything is scrupulously clean.

The first thing I sampled was wakame udon, a soup made with a slightly sweet broth flavored with kelp, dried sardines, soy sauce, a pinch of sugar, and sake.  I ate the soup’s long, thick noodles with chopsticks.  The al dente udon noodles would please any pasta judge.

The three pink-edged fish cakes floating in the soup tasted like imitation crab, which is actually made of fish.  I ate delicious soup like every day when I was an exchange student outside Osaka, Japan.

After this great meal, I took two of my writing group friends out and Florence.  One of my friends ordered chicken teriyaki and shrimp tempura.  Florence chose beef teriyaki, another friend ordered tonkatsu – a breaded and deep fried pork cutlet.  I ate eel over rice.

Everyone’s meal came with a bowl of miso except mine.  I already had wakame udon in front of me.  After my daughter saw strips of wakame seaweed in her soup, she quietly passed that to me to eat.

One of my friends picked seaweed out of her soup like a pro and said she liked seaweed, but had never eaten it before.

Fresh cubes of bright, white tofu floated in the soybean paste soup made with a slightly, salty stock tasting of dried kelp and bonito.  We al drank the soup from our bowls as we lifted them like one does in Japan.

Our meals also came with a small salad, which we ate with chopsticks.  The sweet dressing intrigued us.

End of Part 1.

To be continued…

By Ruth Paget, author of Eating Soup with Chopsticks, Teen in China,  and Marrying France

Click here for:  Ruth Paget's Amazon Books




Ruth Paget Selfie