Pages

Sunday, January 6, 2019

Aloha Spirit in Monterey, California: Hula's Restaurant Review - Part 1 - by Savvy Mom Ruth Paget



Aloha Spirit in Monterey, California:  Hula’s Restaurant Review – Part 1 – by Savvy Mom Ruth Paget


I queried The Monterey County Weekly (Circulation: 200,000) to do a restaurant review of Monterey’s local Trader Vic’s – Hula’s.  I went to Trader Vic’s when I was a student at the University of Chicago and fully appreciate how Aloha Spirit can make you feel warm in winter.

I noted in my query that I had been to Hawaii (Twice now in 2019) and stayed with a Polynesian family upon returning from the People’s Republic of China in 1979. 

I thought Hula’s food tasted like the luau that Hawaii’s Polynesian and Japanese communities prepared for the youth tour I was on before going back home to Detroit, Michigan.

The Monterey County Weekly asked me to do an article, which I have modified as follows:

Aloha Spirit in Monterey: Hula’s Wows with Great Food and Kicky Atmosphere

Hula’s Island Grill and Tiki Room is the kind of restaurant that makes me want to smile the minute I walk in – especially at dinner time when flickering candles in red glass holders cast a hypnotic glow on the thatched roof over the bar and the Polynesian wood carvings.

Blue lights outline the bar, and colored lights frame the windows.  It is fun to be seen in this noisy, party-time restaurant that fascinates children and adults alike with its Hawaiian-inspired décor.

My husband Laurent and I began our meal by ordering some festive appetizers called pupus: surfrider sticks and tiki torches.

The surfrider sticks, which looked like surfboards sticking up in the sand, are chicken breast pieces threaded on skewers and planted in a thick slice of roasted slice of pineapple.

Both dipping sauces tasted yummy:  One was a slightly sweet Thai peanut sauce and the other was a mildly, salty soy-teriyaki sauce.

Six miniature drumsticks that came bathed in a spicy sesame-hoisin sauce made up of our tiki torch dish.  The hoisin sauce - made from soy sauce, molasses, and Chinese hot sauce – gave the chicken a luscious kick.  The sour cram dipping sauce made the already rich chicken very filling.

We drank one of Hula’s eclectic beer choices with our appetizers:  Longboard lager produced by the Kona Brewery on Hawaii. 

One of the co-owners said he likes to offer out-of-the-ordinary items to make eating at his restaurant an exotic experience.

End of Part 1.

To be continued…


By Ruth Paget, author of Eating Soup with Chopsticks and Marrying France

Click here for:  Ruth Paget's Amazon Books



Ruth Paget Selfie