Pages

Friday, January 4, 2019

Sports Rallyes with Chicago-Style Greek Buffet and Suggested Conversation Topics by Savvy Mom Ruth Paget


Sports Rallyes with Chicago-style Greek Buffet and Suggested Conversation Topics by Savvy Mom Ruth Paget


Background:

I began doing tennis championship rallyes in high school featuring fresh-squeezed orange juice for the US Open, strawberries and cream for Wimbledon, and crêpes for the French Open.

Chicago Sports Bar

Tennis championship rallyes morphed into football rallyes after I graduated from the University of Chicago and worked on the first Super Bowl broadcast in the People’s Republic of China.

I think I sold my first sponsorship, because my telephone pitch was, “This would be great PR for the Cubs and trade for the City of Chicago.”

Après-guffaws, I sold a big sponsorship. 

Long-story short – I became a big football promoter.  On the weekends, I went to Bennigan’s Sports Bar and read the Thursday and Friday editions of The Wall Street Journal that I bought at Brentanno’s Chicago store.  I read “The Journal” while I watched the game and gave the paper to the wait staff and cooks when I left.

Monday Night Football Rallyes

On Monday nights, I hosted a “football rallye” for the people who worked with me on the First Super Bowl in China and their spouses or partners.

I worked as an “admin,” so I could get off at 5 pm and deal with deli items for dinner.  I walked to the Treasure Island Supermarket and took a taxi home to Marina City.

I kept receipts that my guests and I (about 8) divvied up.  My guests paid my cab fare for shopping and bringing the deli items up to my apartment.  If they wanted beer, they went to the grocery store in the lobby of Marina Towers where I lived.

While I organized food, my guests and I would talk about:

-current art exhibits

-good magazine or newspaper articles

-movies

-books we were reading

I asked everyone why they thought the book, article, movie, or art exhibit they spent time on was important.

The Buffet was laid out nicely on tables and counters in my pie-shaped apartment.  The living room was devoted to comfy seating for the game.

I did football night in the era of Greek catering.  We ate what we wanted and divvied up items to be taken home.  My friends shared cabs late at night

The Mostly Greek Buffet

-Taramosalata – Greek caviar spread – orange-colored

-Greek Village Salad – a no-lettuce salad made with tomato wedges, feta cheese, Kalamata olives, and mild green peppers

-Tomato – Onion – Oregano Salad

-2 Dressings on the side:

-oil and red vinegar with oregano (rigani)

-tzatziki –cucumber-yogurt sauce

-2 or 3 garlic bread loaves to bake

-2 ready-made Greek bread loaves

-Roast lemon-garlic chicken with dark and white meat separated on a plate

-cheese cubes sprinkled with paprika

-apple slices

-tangerine sections

-pineapple chunks

-banana slices

-vanilla bean yogurt for the fruit

-baked Parmesan cheese sticks

-baked spinach-feta phyllo pastry triangles

-vegetable terrine slices

-smoked salmon open-faced Danish sandwiches

-coffee made from beans by me

Everyone tried a little of everything and leftovers were sorted out for another meal or two.

There are lots of seasons and championships to do a sports rallye night for.

Planning one is great training for ordering catering.

Later in life, I loved learning how to make these items, including spinach-feta phyllo triangle pies.


By Ruth Paget, author Eating Soup with Chopsticks and Marrying France

Note: Locally all 3 Demetra locations, Paprika, and Yaffa might be able to provide this meal.

Click here for:  Ruth Paget's Amazon Books



Ruth Paget Selfie