Pages

Saturday, January 5, 2019

Thai-Style Feasting: My Thai Restaurant Review - Part 2 - by Savvy Mom Ruth Paget



Thai-Style Feasting: My Thai Restaurant Review – Part 2 – by Savvy Mom Ruth Paget


Galangal’s flavor makes me think of biting into perfume that lingers on the tongue.  The woody slices in the soup may not be to everyone’s liking, but I ate mine, because galangal is supposed to be good for the lungs and stomach.

I drank a Thai iced tea made with black tea, sugar, spices, and a healthy dose of cream.  This drink is a particularly good antidote for putting out chili pepper fires, if you order spicy food.  The default spiciness of food at My Thai is mild, so be sure to ask for spicy food if that is how you like it.

The food I ate for lunch was so good that I came back for a weekend lunch with my husband Laurent.  We started our meal with chicken satay – like chicken kebabs – and fried shrimp rolls.

The satay was made of flattened, marinated chicken breasts.  Their bright yellow color hinted at turmeric in the marinade and their sweet flavor signaled the use of coconut cream in the marinade as well.

The satay came with a peanut dipping sauce, cucumber relish, and strands of carrot and cabbage.  The peanut sauce was rich (high calorie).  I liked refreshing my palate with the sweet relish.  The tender chicken meat made me want to make a meal out of my appetizer.

Laurent’s fried shrimp rolls looked like skinny baseball bats filled with shrimp.  They came with a sweet sauce that accentuated the flavor of the shrimp.  We both liked this dish and felt we had made a gastronomic discovery for ourselves.

I drank a Thai Singha beer with my appetizers.  The crisp lager reminded me of Corona from Mexico.  Singha goes well with spicy Thai food.

Laurent ordered the most well-known Thai dish as his main course, Pad Thai, while I chose Dusit’s Delicious Duck.

The stir-fried noodles and tofu in Pad Thai hearken back to Thai food’s Chinese heritage.  The sour flavor of the dish makes it uniquely Thai.

Laurent ordered the Pad Thai with beef.  A generous helping of crushed peanuts came on top of the Pad Thai as garnish.

Dusit is the Thai name of My Thai’s owner.  Dusit’s Delicious Duck lived up to its name.  Many slices of duck with skin intact flavored a medley of vegetables made up of baby bok choy, carrots, sweet red pepper, bamboo shoots, mushrooms, and onion in a chili-basil sauce.  The baby bok choy tasted especially good with the duck, offsetting the duck’s richness (fat).

The Bangkok-born owner told me that he serves food as it is prepared in Thailand.  In just a few months, he had developed a regular clientele, who love the real thing.

End of article

My Thai has a new name and owner now, but the Dusit family helped created the love of Thai food on the West Coast as a lasting memory in our community.


By Ruth Paget, author of Eating Soup with Chopsticks and Marrying France

Click here for:  Ruth Paget's Amazon Books



Ruth Paget Selfie