Pages

Monday, July 2, 2018

Visiting Jamestown (Virginia) - Interactive Site Visit by Savvy Mom Ruth Paget

Visiting Jamestown (Virginia) – Interactive Site by Savvy Mom Ruth Paget

Mess crank was the new family vocabulary word.  This word meant up at 4 to arrive at work by 4:30 a.m.  I carried Florence out of bed and buckled her into the back seat still sleeping, so she would not have to stay home alone while I Laurent drove to work. 

Many times I would stop at Dunkin Donuts on the way back from the Naval Station after dropping Laurent off and buy a donut and orange juice for her and a donut with coffee for me.

Laurent was able to work in the officers’ dining room, because there were master pastry chefs, managers of corporate dining rooms, small country storeowners, château caterers, and wine merchants among his ancestors and immediate relatives.  (I read him the fairy tale of the golden goose and told him, “You are a merchant goose, and I am the true finance goose,” to tease him about his MBA in finance and accounting.)

The first day of mess crank was also Florence’s first day of school.  Mom and her friend came over to give Florence a hug before she went to school.  I drove Florence to school and hoped that she would have a good day.

I came home and waited most of the day for the dining room table to be delivered.

I had been serving my lovely meals on a fold-up card table with a paisley tablecloth on it.  The new dining room table became my desk and made me feel like I had my feet on terra firma.

I could tell waking up at 4 a.m. was going to wear us all down the next day when I picked up Florence from school.  Her teacher told me that she was naughty at school.

That ruined my day.  I looked forward to talking with Florence’s teacher at the end of the day.  I felt guilty, if Florence did not behave.

I have always thought children misbehave, because they have an unstable home life.  I thought about what I could do to set up a routine for Florence, but knew I could not plan much while I was in job limbo. I tried to plan field trips, so Florence would think we were on vacation until we could a routine set up.

For our next field trip, we went to the Jamestown Recreation site.  We made the pilgrimage to the Morale, Welfare, and Recreation Office.  We left exuberant about the reduced fees given to military personnel on everything from amusement parks to bowling alleys. 

Knowing we had access to these things made me feel we could still have an all-American childhood for Florence despite low Navy wages for airmen on aircraft carriers.  (I was looking for a job to supplement Laurent’s wages obviously and wanted to plan my own retirement.)

The museum at the Jamestown site had many hands-on exhibits that seem to be the specialty of American museums.  The navigational tools area has the most fun exhibit that lets you move bars around to determine latitude and longitude.

Florence watched a television segment about the Susan Constant, one of the boats that brought over Jamestown settlers three times.

Outside, we visited the re-created Native American village, the Jamestown Fort and houses, and replicas of the Godspeed and the Susan Constant.  The Susan Constant is a tiny vessel.  I could not believe how small those boats were.  I would have been terrified to cross the ocean in either of those ships.

After our visit, we drove to colonial Williamsburg.  Even with a military admission reduction, a visit to this place was beyond our means, so we contented ourselves with walking around the town and admiring the red brick buildings from the street.

I was thrilled to find a Rizzoli bookstore.  I leafed through a cookbook called The Flavor of the Riviera by Colman Andrews.  Andrews was the editor of Saveur magazine, a former LA Times restaurant critic, author of Catalan Cuisine, a biographer of Ferran Adria who owned El Bulli outside Barcelona, and a cookbook author.  I just loved reading his work like I used to read the restaurant criticism of Jay Jacobs in Gourmet magazine as a child.

“There is civilization in Hampton Roads after all,” I thought to myself.

By Ruth Pennington Paget, author of Eating Soup with Chopsticks and Marrying France

Click here for:  Ruth Paget's Amazon Books




Ruth Paget Selfie