Pages

Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Visiting Venice (Italy) with Savvy Mom Ruth Paget

Visiting Venice (Italy) with Savvy Mom Ruth Paget


We made reservations to take an overnight train to Venice from Naples.  We ate an early dinner at the Trattoria da Giorgio.

We ate pasta made from the hard flour called durum with marinaria tomato sauce, which is just tomato purée with sautéed garlic, olive oil, and oregano.

We cooled off in the air-conditioned dining room and enjoyed watching the noisy television.  The newscasters in Italy looked cool in their black leather jackets.  Italian women newscasters in their leather jackets wear their hair long unlike French women newscasters, who wear it short.

I was tired and slept all the way from Naples to Venice.  We left our bags at the train station and set out in a ferry down the Grand Canal in Venice.

The palaces were beautiful one after the other, but I thought the logistics of living in Venice would be difficult with plumbing letting out into the canal, delivering mail by boat, and grand pianos being delivered by boat.

Water sloshed into the first floors of these palaces along the Grand Canal.  The palaces enchanted me, but I thought of the logistics involved in carrying out everyday life on water as we passed boats carrying garbage.

We did not have a map pointing out all the castles, but you really do not need to know the names to enjoy them – Peggy Guggenheim’s Palace has big lettering on it.  However, I liked the romance of not knowing what I was seeing, so I could come back to Venice again.

Finally, we stepped off the Palazzo San Marco.  I had already seen the most portable treasures of the Cathedral at an exhibit at the Chicago Institute of the Arts, but we still visited the church.

The musicians at the Café Florian were just beginning to play as we entered the Cathedral San Marco.  I am a Greek sympathizer and have to admit that I disliked seeing all the items that had been looted from the Orthodox Greeks at Constantinople during the Fourth Crusade.

I knew the Fourth Crusade still enrages Greeks, because they know most of the items in San Marco’s Treasury originally belonged to the Orthodox Church.

Next, we went to the Doge’s Palace.  My walks in Chicago made me able to skip up Sansovino’s Stairway of the Giants without a problem.

Every room seemed to be decorated with the golden colors of Veronese, Tintoretto, or Tiepolo.  Gold colors glisten in Venice due to the reflection from water.  Teacups with gold decoration look beautiful here for this reason.

We ate salty Venetian fish dishes at a restaurant.  Salt leaves your body with perspiration and can leave you feeling dizzy and weak in very hot climates.  I liked this food even though I did not eat it at home.

We walked around the Venetian Piazzas, which are like villages with markets.  We crossed bridges and walked.  I rested in a park by a graveyard while Laurent walked around.

Birds chirped in my lovely yet somewhat eerie resting spot before we took the train. 

Edgar Allen Poe would have written creepy stories about the people buried in this graveyard.  The truly rich had Palladian Villas on land and graveyards located on land as well. 

The Welsh writer James (now Jan) Morris wrote a book called Venice about living on Venice for a year when his/her children were small that I liked as well.  Scrambling for food, what I call food war games, were a daily occurrence. 

He/She stayed thin running around to each different village market buying food.  These markets were held on different days and you had to be friends with the vendors to even buy good food.

When my daughter Florence was born, the first I did was to learn to cook to insulate my family from “market food supply” shortages and price hikes after reading Venice by James/Jan Morris. 

By cooking I mean, cooking from dry goods in case of street rioting in a secured building.  We lived in Paris when I read that book, which does have a history of street rioting as did Detroit where I grew up.

By Ruth Paget, author Eating Soup with Chopsticks and Marrying France

Click here for:  Ruth Paget's Amazon Books




Ruth Paget Selfie