Pages

Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Ruth Paget's Honeymoon in Italy: Arrival in Florence, Italy

Savvy Mom Ruth Paget’s Honeymoon in Italy: Arrival in Florence, Italy by Savvy Mom Ruth Paget


I was happy to sit on a train to Paris (France) the next day and rest after my wedding outside Tours to Laurent.  The smile muscles in my face hurt from all the photographs.

I was not a savvy mom on my honeymoon, but I wanted to have a “cultured lifestyle” to go with my education at the University of Chicago, so I could raise my children well and contribute to my neighborhood as a mom.  


Laurent and I saved money for a 6-week honeymoon vacation in Italy; the Languedoc region in France; and Barcelona, Spain.

I could hardly wait to get to Florence, so we could start our honeymoon.  I had taken all the classes necessary in college to be an art history major in college, but chose to be a Far Eastern Languages and Civilizations major, because it would marry well with an MBA.

At the moment, though, I felt thoroughly prepared to serve as the tour guide for us throughout Italy.  I watched the Alpine villas roll by our windows on the way to Florence.  Pretty soon, we were in tunnels speeding towards Florence.

The train arrived at Santa Maria Novella Station.  I immediately began gawking at the alternating green and white marble stripes on Santa Maria Novella and asked Laurent, “Isn’t that amazing?!!”

I was excited to see a church that I had studied in an art history class when I was looking at Santa Maria Novella.

“We’ll have plenty of time for tourism after we get to the hotel,” Laurent said unromantically.

The early morning sun was already beating down on us, and pretty soon we were drenched in sweat in the July heat.

I began to agree with Laurent that there was time to sightsee when I would not be walking through town with a backpack.

Laurent expertly guided us through octagonal-piazzas and diagonal streets to our hotel in a Florentine fortified apartment with a tower.

I loved the ochre-colored buildings that had floral paintings on them around us as well as the sturdy stone towers that kept marauders out in less peaceful times.

Whole families occupied entire buildings that were spacious apartments now.  Our room opened out to a private terrace with potted plants on it.

After getting our bags situated, we walked to the university district for dinner.  The Florentines wore shirts that had creases in the sleeves from ironing I noticed.

The women all seemed to have pedicures with red toenail polish, which their sandals set off to advantage.  I even saw one pair of sandals that had turquoise inlaid in the thong part.

“Italian women have the prettiest feet,” I remarked to myself.  I though they were wonderfully thin, too.  I thought all Italian women were going to be plump, pasta eaters.

We were looking for restaurants where we could have a real Italian meal and settled on a trattoria with lots of Italian men inside eating big lunches.


By Ruth Paget, author of Eating Soup with Chopsticks and Marrying France

Click here for:  Ruth Paget's Amazon Books




Ruth Paget Selfie