Pages

Sunday, July 15, 2018

How the French Comte de Grasse Helped Win the Revolutionary War by Savvy Mom Ruth Paget

How the French Comte de Grasse Helped Win the Revolutionary War by Savvy Mom Ruth Paget

I washed dishes while Laurent collapsed into bed after a long week on the ship.  Then, I ironed clothes, swept the floor, and checked on what Florence was doing outside.

When that was all done, I curled up in bed and read Zola’s Au Bonheur des Dames in French about the mythical origins of Paris, France’s Printemps Department Store with its stock on shelves with the same price for everyone listed on a shelf next to the item.

Florence came in and out of the apartment and finally sat down to read.  I picked up books at library book sales, used bookstores, independent bookstores, and chain bookstores over the years, so Florence had a nice library.

I went into Florence’s room and wrote down sentences on paper and taped them to the walls for her to practice reading.  I sat at her kiddy table with chairs, and we read sentences that described objects in her bedroom.

When Laurent woke from his nap, we decided to do some sightseeing close to home and went to the First Landing Seashore State Park.  We walked over bridges in the swamp area complete with drooping Spanish gray moss.

One of the educational billboards said that cottonmouth snakes were native to the area.  The mosquitos chased us away from explaining the swamp fully to Florence.

We went to 64th Street Exit and watched a boat launch into the narrows of the Chesapeake Bay.  Florence amused herself by trying to pull oyster shells off of the rocks.

We drove to the beach. It was 75 degrees outside and sunny – my Wisconsin weather vane still had a hard time registering that this was October weather in the South.

Laurent had the great idea to picnic on the beach.  We took out our picnic basket and spread out our tablecloth.  I loved our wicker picnic basket with real China.  Florence liked playing in the surf.

On the way home, we stopped at the Cape Henry Lighthouse.  We took a picture of the cross at the First Landing Site where Captain Newport first came ashore in 1607.

We learned from a historical marker here that the French Comte de Grasse routed the British at Cape Henry in 1781.

General Cornwallis could not receive any food, because the Comte de Grasse cut off supplies at Yorktown.

Cornwallis, the English commander during the Revolutionary War, had to surrender, because he could not feed his troops or his officers.

Laurent left for another two-week cruise later that week.  I came home from dropping Laurent off at the ship and played the card game War with Florence to teach her which numbers were bigger than the others. 

The higher number wins in War.  I left in the face cards, so Florence would learn their numerical values for games like Euchre (also called Napoleon) to make fast smear plays.

When Florence got tired of playing Euchre, I did sneaky teaching by asking her questions like “How much bigger is seven than five?”

She was working on subtraction at school, but I wanted her to be able to do quick calculations in her head, so I worked with her at home, too.

We did easier games, too, like checkers, pick-up sticks, Mille Bornes, dominoes, and tic tac toe.  If she had her friends over, I would set up the living room for Duck, Duck, Goose and teach them string games like Jacob’s Ladder, how to snowflakes from paper cutouts, and make butterfly paintings with finger paints and a sheet of paper. 

We ate real popcorn with Parmesan cheese from a can sprinkled on the popcorn and drank lemonade.  Various moms and dads would come in. 

I sent people home with bags of popcorn and told them to just follow the directions for the kernels they bought.  Virginia is a peanut-producing state, so I made my homemade popcorn with peanut oil. 

I liked the education, games, and snacks we had in the Norfolk apartment.  I learned how to organize a pantry in Norfolk and make menus for the following week based on what I found at the grocery store and what was in the pantry.  I did not want the ghost of Comte de Grasse to come and starve me!

By Ruth Paget, author of Eating Soup with Chopsticks and Marrying France


Click here for:  Ruth Paget's Amazon Books



Ruth Paget Selfie