Pages

Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Visiting the Holiday Light Show at the Norfolk Botanical Garden (Virginia) by Savvy Mom Ruth Paget



Visiting the Holiday Light Show at the Norfolk Botanical Garden (Virginia) by Savvy Mom Ruth Paget


It was getting dark, so I started preparing for my family’s outing to the Holiday Light Show at the Norfolk Botanical Garden.  My sister sent me a membership to the Garden as a Christmas gift, which we were immediately using for the Holiday Light Show.

I made a huge bowl of popcorn just before we left for Laurent and Florence to munch on in the car as we drove through the light show.  Laurent and Florence sat in the backseat and let me spread out a blanket over them.  I gave them each a big bowl of warm popcorn and set out.

I turned on the Christmas Carol radio station and drove to the Botanical Garden where I got in line with a bunch of cars to drive through the Botanical Garden.

Inside the Botanical Garden, I drove slowly by the twinkling lights on the huge wire sculptures that were set up throughout the Garden, which resembled a winter fairyland.  We all agreed that the gingerbread house made of lights was the best.

“I like the gingerbread house, because there is no witch in it,” Florence said.

“Witches sometimes make you grow up when you outsmart them,” I said as I cackled and made menacing sneers at Florence.

“That’s not true,” Laurent said.

“Hansel and Gretel saved themselves by outsmarting a witch in their fairy tale,” I said.

“That fairy tale is German,” Laurent said, laughing.

We stopped at the gift shop and drank some non-alcoholic eggnog and wassail and sang carols from song sheets.

I still had the Christmas spirit when we came home and made chocolate chip cookies while Laurent and Florence watched the Batman movie.


By Ruth Pennington Paget. author of Eating Soup with Chopsticks and Marrying France

Click here for:  Ruth Paget's Amazon Books




Ruth Paget Selfie