Pages

Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Visiting Shirley Plantation on the James River (Hampton Roads Virginia) by Savvy Mom Ruth Paget




Visiting Shirley Plantation on the James River (Hampton Roads Virginia) by Savvy Mom Ruth Paget


My mother came to visit Florence and me right before our family moved to Monterey County (California).

I drove out to Charles City, which is the main town for visiting James River Plantations.  My mother took us out to lunch at the Berkeley Plantation, and then we were off down the road to the Shirley Plantation.

Shirley Plantation is the 18th century structure and had a 300-year-old tree in the front yard, which Florence played on while we visited for the tour to begin.

The tour participants interested me more than the house.

A German family asked, “When do you plan to hold your next furniture sale?” they asked.

Three African-American ladies asked, “How many slaves were there?  Are the slave ledgers kept with the family books?”

“The slave ledgers are kept in Williamsburg,” our guide answered.

They might be digitized today for easy access and protection of the original ledger, which is probably written on fragile paper. 

I have not seen slave ledgers for plantations, but slaves were treated as merchandise and examined for sale at slave ports as well for people locating African ancestors.

I liked reading Toni Morrison's Song of Solomon in high school and know that it is important to have some roots.  Alex  Haley's book and television series Roots was very good, too, I thought.  Spoiler alert - I did not like Beloved by Morrison, because if you kill your kids, your culture will die.

I am a 15th generation American.  My Jamestown relative did not survive.  However, Isaac Penington did survive "with issue."  He was the founder of the Society of Friends "Church" or Quaker Church. His son settled in Pennsylvania and various branches of the family settled the Appalachian states. 

By Ruth Paget, author of Eating Soup with Chopsticks and Marrying France

Click here for:  Ruth Paget's Amazon Books


Ruth Paget Selfie