Pages

Friday, September 7, 2018

Eating a Metz Meal: Dining in Lorraine France with Savvy Mom Ruth Paget


Sampling a Metz Meal:  Dining in Lorraine France with Savvy Mom Ruth Paget



Quiche Lorraine is certainly well-known in France, but it is the suckling pig and pork products that make the Lorraine famous. 

Pork tastes sweetest when pigs have been raised on milk, but pigs can eat almost anything.  This fact allows the citizens of Lorraine to enjoy nutritious meals even in lean times.

Our host, Laurent’s cousin’s husband, prepared an optimal gastronomic experience for us.  The meal started with several hors d’oeuvres.  The first of these was rillettes (pork cooked in its own fat and preserved in it).

Our host next heated up sausages that were flavored with thyme and white wine.  He also had some plain pork sausages just in case we were not getting enough food.

Just as I thought we had finished, I began to smell bread baking.  Our host now appeared with a tray of puff pastries filled with sausage.

I could have stopped then and there and eaten a sorbet for dessert, but sturdier offerings appeared out of the kitchen again.

This time our host carried out an oversized Quiche Lorraine.  As the American visitor, I just could not have one piece of Quiche Lorraine.

Seconds of a “real” Quiche appeared on my plate despite my unheeded pleas for mercy. 

“What is that?” I asked.

“A pork pie,” he said.

I ate some more and took a nap.  When I woke up, I drank some Mirabelle, an eau-de-vie yellow plum brandy.”

At home, I would have just had a large slice of Quiche Lorraine, salad, and a lemon soda.  I truly was overwhelmed by the meal, but it was very good.

Some French cookbooks with specialties of the Lorraine Region include:

-Saveur Cooks Authentic French:  Rediscovering the Recipes, Traditions, and Flavors of the World’s Greatest Cuisine by the Editors of Saveur Magazine

-Paris: Authentic Recipes Celebrating the Foods of the World by the Editors of Williams-Sonoma

By Ruth Paget, author of Eating Soup with Chopsticks and Marrying France

Click here for:  Ruth Paget's Amazon Books




Ruth Paget Selfie