Pages

Sunday, September 2, 2018

Sampling Catalan Seafood in Barcelona, Spain with Savvy Mom Ruth Paget

Exploring Barcelona (Spain):  Eating a Typical Catalan Seafood Lunch with Savvy Mom Ruth Paget



When Laurent began working for the European Union after working for French investment banks, I contented myself with taking Florence on long walks to the Bagatelle Gardens, so I could get back into physical shape after childbirth, reading, cooking, and trying to write roman à clefs like Simone de Beauvoir.

He had to go to Barcelona for work, so I was able to go with him and baby Florence.  The taxi ride into Barcelona took us through a very industrialized part of town.  Barcelona shares with big cities everywhere the schizophrenia of extreme wealth coexisting with extreme poverty.

The hotel where we would be staying was a recent construction built to house guests for the 1992 Olympic Games.  The hotel is in the Eixample Neighborhood, one of Barcelona’s most posh areas.

The Eixample, with its neat city blocks, was built during the turn of the century.  This fact explains the wealth of Spanish art nouveau architecture in the neighborhood with its sloping apartment roofs and undulating façades.

After unpacking, I went out to buy baby food and water.  The search for these items led me around the block.  What a block it was!!!

While I was looking for a drugstore, I passed by Gaudi’s Casa Mila, which looks like an underwater life form; Domenech I Mantenar’s Casa Lleo Morera; Gaudi’s Casa Battlò with bubbles that seem to float up its façade; and the fanciful tangle of wines atop the Tapies Foundation.

Back in the hotel room, I prepared Florence’s lunch while she gnawed away on her crib.  Florence did not eat any of her Spanish baby food.  The ham and vegetable mélange that I bought for her was saltier than her French baby food.  Spain is much hotter than Paris, which explains the saltier food.

I thought Florence might like some bread and went out again on Avenida Diagonal to find a baker.  I found something better than the baker when I was crossing the street.  I ran into Laurent and his Catalan colleagues.  His colleagues insisted that Florence and I join them for lunch.

I forgot the name of the restaurant, but the meal was memorable.  We had two seafood platters.  The first seafood platter had oysters and clams on it along with cooked shrimp and langoustines.  The second platter had grilled razor clams on it.

The grilled seafood was a perfect example of Mediterranean cooking that uses simple ingredients requiring fresh ingredients and proper cooking methods for the dish to succeed.

The grilled shrimp and clams were seasoned with garlic.  Other yummy things on our platter included fried and grilled squid.  We drank a white wine from the Pénédés Wine region south of Barcelona.  We drank espresso for dessert.

I was quite satisfied with this meal considering that I had planned to buy a sandwich for myself.

By Ruth Paget, author of Eating Soup with Chopsticks and Marrying France

Ruth Paget Selfie