Pages

Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Exploring Barcelona: Shopping in Catalan Spain with Savvy Mom Ruth Paget

Exploring Barcelona:  Shopping in Catalan Spain with Savvy Mom Ruth Paget



Walking along the Ramblas in Barcelona, I passed the Gran Teatre de Licieu where the Catalan opera called Zarzuela is performed. 

Attending the opera was expensive for us even the kiddy matinées, but fortunately they did have children’s cultural programming on television in Europe, so Florence could see musical programs like Peter and the Wolf, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, and the Nutrcracker on television.

A little further down from Rambla Sant Josep, I heard meows, cackling birds, cooings, and gurgles of aquariums along the Rambla del Estudios as vendors to buy a pet.

Along this Rambla, I found a neat bookstore and a cheap one at that; it was the Catalan regional government’s bookstore.  I bought a book about Catalan wine and food in Castellano, which everyone outside of Spain refers to as Spanish.

Opposite the bookstore is the Catalan Cathedral of good food, the Boquería Market.  The place was so crowded that I could hardly squeeze Florence through in her stroller.

I knew I was a nuisance from all the vendors calling me, “mamasita.”  That innuendo is called a “piropo” in Spain.

I wanted to rent an apartment near the Boquería, so I could try my hand with the local ingredients.  After awhile, it became impossible to maneuver Florence through the crowd, so I reluctantly left the market.

The place I visited next was the Plaça Catalunya.  The stores there were nicer in this area.  Supposedly, there were Roman tombs there, but all I could see was traffic.

It started raining, so I decided to do some shopping at El Corte Ingles, the big department store in town.

There were no doors leading into the store.  There was just a large opening with sawdust on the floor and security guards posted on either side of the opening. 

When the Spanish people congregate in public they tend to speak loudly and the department store is no exception


By Ruth Paget, author of Eating Soup with Chopsticks and Marrying France

Click here for:  Ruth Paget's Amazon Books


Ruth Paget Selfie