Feta Cheese Omelet at the DeForest Family Restaurant in DeForest, Wisconsin Right Off I-94 on Highway V by Ruth Paget
On our first day of visiting Wisconsin, we went to the DeForest Family Restaurant, which is about 10 to 15 minutes away from I-94 on County Highway V depending on if you had to stop at traffic lights.
The DeForest Family Diner is a classic American diner, which in the Midwest means that you will probably find some Greek dishes on the menu since many diner owners in the past had Greek ancestry. I was able to order a breakfast that I often ate at the Agora Restaurant when I was a student at the University of Chicago in the Hyde Park neighborhood:
-feta cheese 3 egg omelet
-crispy brown has brown potatoes that remind me of Swiss rösti potatoes
-whole wheat toast made with the addition of flax seeds
-3 strips of thick-cup, hickory smoked meaty bacon
-2 glasses of bitter iced tea that are usually made from Canadian Red Rose tea to combat humid and very hot weather (85 to 90 degrees)
That great breakfast made me happy. I cannot find restaurants on the West Coast that make feta cheese omelets, so I considered this a vacation treat and somewhat exotic.
Laurent and I took my mom back home and then we set out for some grocery shopping at Piggly Wiggly in Waunakee, also located along Highway V in the opposite direction of DeForest. Waunakee is also about 15 minutes away from the I-94, but the turn off is not indicated, so you will need a GPS to get there.
Piggly Wiggly is a chain I associate with the south that has expanded north. My sister K. in Atlanta asked us to check out the bakery section, which they are well known for in the south. Laurent bought very good French baguettes and Danish kringle pastries.
There are many people with Norwegian ancestry in Wisconsin who eat Danish foods, since Norway and Denmark have been united as countries throughout different periods of history. Laurent and I have now joined the kringle eating crowd.
Kringles are large, oval pastries with a large hole in the middle made of layered, yeast dough. Laurent bought one made with raspberries and cream and another simply flavored with cinnamon and sugar. We ate slices of these with bitter coffee in the morning during our stay.
On the way back home, we passed two of my favorite restaurants in Waunakee that locals and tourist alike dine at:
-Rex’s Inn Keep for steak, seafood, and Friday Night Fish Fry. Rex’s is expensive but worth the money.
-Cuco’s Mexican Restaurant right across the street from Rex’s. The dishes are milder than they are in California. They will happily increase the spiciness upon request.
Both Rex”s Innkeeper and Cuco’s have their own parking lot.
We drove around and planned to visit some neighboring towns. I find driving by 7-foot high corn stalks and well-tended white-painted farmhouses, cow barns, and silos very peaceful. The air outside smelled like sweet baked corn in the heat.
Dairyland Vacation in Wisconsin Day 2 – Complete
By Ruth Paget
-author Eating Soup with Chopsticks, Marrying France, and Europe’s Lessons written during overseas duty in Germany + 5 other Kindle books
-developer of the Novgorod and Bento War Games + 8 Classical Western Civilization War Games
-developer of food and beverage knowledge games
-creator of online exhibits about San Miguel Arcangel Mission, French baguette making, and the Carmel Valley History Center
-creator of French travel and culture games
-writer of 1800+ Central Coast California lifestyle blogs
-family genealogist
-developer of 9 music theory games