Pages

Tuesday, August 25, 2026

Log Cabin Breakfast in Northwoods Baraboo, Wisconsin by Ruth Paget

Log Cabin Breakfast in Northwoods Baraboo, Wisconsin by Ruth Paget 

My husband Laurent and I headed towards the Wisconsin Northwoods on I-94 North Direction Wisconsin Dells. We exited in the direction of Baraboo. 

Baraboo gets its name from the French trader and trapper named Jean-Baptiste Baribault (or Baribeau) who traded with Native Americans in the region in a trading post on what is now called the Baraboo River in the 18th century. 

Baraboo was officially adopted as the name of the Village of Adams that rose on the trading post site in 1852. 

Baraboo is now the county seat of Sauk County. (Sauk is the name of the local Native American tribe.) Baraboo is most famous as the winter home of the Ringling Brothers Circus. 

Circus World Museum now operates where the Ringling Brothers house animals, props, and performers for the winter. Laurent and I went to the Circus World Gift Shop where I bought a book about the history of Wisconsin agriculture. I did not feel like visiting the museum without our daughter Florence along. She will come on the next visit to see grandma. 

We went to the Log Cabin Restaurant for breakfast. This restaurant seems to have been around forever. The Log Cabin makes its own sausage, which is pudgy, porky, perfect. I ordered the 2x4 breakfast along with Laurent that came with: 

-2 over easy eggs 

-2 sausages 

-2 slices thick-cut bacon 

-2 pieces of French toast 

-a pot of freshly brewed coffee with cream 

Wow! That was a great breakfast in a restaurant that just smelled of nice coffee. We went back to Madison well fed. 

We had “light” dinners at Culver’s, the Wisconsin fast food chain, that featured butter cheeseburgers and chocolate egg custard shakes. 

The flights the next day from Madison, Wisconsin to Phoenix, Arizona and Phoenix, Arizona to Monterey, California were on-time and smooth. I was happy to be back at sea level in crisp cool air. 

We had a great time in Wisconsin and promised mom (grandma) to visit next year. 

Wisconsin Dairyland Vacation Days 7 and 8 Complete!! 

By Ruth Paget

-author Eating Soup with Chopsticks, Marrying France, and Europe’s Lessons written during overseas duty in Germany + 5 other Kindle books 

-developer of the Novgorod and Bento War Games + 8 Classical Western Civilization War Games 

-developer of food and beverage knowledge games -creator of online exhibits about San Miguel Arcangel Mission, French baguette making, and the Carmel Valley History Center 

-creator of French travel and culture games 

-writer of 1800+ Central Coast California lifestyle blogs 

-family genealogist 

-developer of 9 music theory games