Pages

Saturday, June 30, 2018

Going to Portsmouth (Virginia) - the Shipyards by Savvy Mom Ruth Paget

Going to Portsmouth (Virginia) – the Shipyards by Savvy Mom Ruth Paget

The sixty-five degree, humid air outside made the sweat on my hands feel even more cooler as I clenched my car’s steering wheel and entered the tunnel that connected Portsmouth with Norfolk (Virginia) – my first week as a Navy wife.

“Why aren’t we picking daddy up?” cried Florence as she brushed a wisp of straight, brown hair aside that had stuck to her forehead in the day’s heat.

Her round, kiddo cheeks flushed as she cried in sobs that increased with intensity each time that she asked about her father.

We had just spent an hour looking for my husband Laurent through the sprawling United States Naval Shipyard, which seemed to be one bumpy, pot filled parking lot.

My husband’s ship, the U.S.S. Austin (lead battle ship) was resting in dry dock for repairs.  When I had come to the ship with Laurent earlier in the day, we had to go to several gates to find the right ship.

I had forgotten what the right gate looked like.  That was easy to do, since all the gates resembled one another with puddles filling potholes, electric fencing, a lone gatehouse, and a pay phone.  Wu-Tang Klan rap group posters covered the warehouse walls around the dry dock areas.

My inquiries as to where the U.S.S. Austin was were greeted with shrugs and “I don’t knows.”  No one put forth the effort to find Airman Paget for me.  (Laurent did his French military service in the air force and served in Chad (Africa), a French-speaking “Black” African country.”)

Florence fretted more and more with each “the Austin isn’t here” answer.

Dusk was approaching.  I decided to drive back to the Navy Lodge where we were staying until we could find an apartment as our new home.

I could still make out the streets and took advantage of that to find my way back to the hotel.

This was my first day driving solo in the Norfolk – Virginia Beach conurbation of 1.5 million people.  Freeway driving still made me nervous.  (I grew up walking and taking public transportation in Detroit and Chicago.) 

Testosterone drivers in Norfolk zigzag in and out of traffic all the time, especially since I still had Wisconsin license plates on the car. 

Taking I-264 made me do a big loop around Norfolk that I could have avoided by taking Tidewater Drive, but I was unsure of bearings in my new city.  Florence continued crying, “Don’t worry.  Dad will take a taxi to the hotel.”

I hoped he had some spare change to make a call from the pay phone as well as access to the yellow pages, so he could call a cab company.  I worried that he might catch cold in the damp air at night.

“I want my daddy,” Florence continued.  Laurent had been away for three months at boot camp before our arrival in Virginia and was afraid he would disappear again.

Florence reacted to this boot camp situation by throwing temper tantrums with me.  I was worried about how she was going to hold up when Laurent would have to go on his six-month deployment in the Mediterranean.  Some deployments were even extended to one year and sometimes two in war situations.

I was not so sure how I was going to hold up myself as a single parent for such a long period of time.  I was absolutely learning how to drive on freeways with speedy, single guys and peanut farmer Southerners from Suffolk (Virginia) to make sure I could take care of the two of us.

By Ruth Paget, author of Eating Soup with Chopsticks and Marrying France

Click here for:  Ruth Paget's Amazon Books




Ruth Paget Selfie