Pages

Friday, June 15, 2018

Making Turkish Food with Juilliard Graduate Florence Paget Suggested by Savvy Mom Ruth Paget

Making Turkish Food with Juilliard Graduate Florence Paget by Savvy Mom Ruth Paget

Mother’s Day 1995
(Recorded in Family Menu Journal)

I thought it was important to teach my daughter Florence about other cultures through food and music.  Those are two areas that are the toughest to overcome for most people when they deal with international affairs.

The third area that is very hard for people to deal with in international affairs is personal space between people.  I taught Florence about the personal space of Asians, the French, and the Spanish when she was growing up, but she paid more attention to the lessons of music and dance.

We made a trip to our local library in DeForest, Wisconsin to get some Turkish music CDs.  I wanted to do a Topkapi Palace Mother’s Day party.

We danced to the Turkish music as I prepared the meal.  I used two very good cookbooks to prepare the food:

-A Book of Middle Eastern Food by Claudia Roden

-Classic Turkish Cooking by Ayla Alger

We started with homemade hummus (I use olive oil to thin mine not the chickpea bean water.  It’s more fattening made this way, but less of it goes further) and tabouleh, a parsley and bulgur wheat salad with lemon dressing and olive oil.

Other meze or starters, on the table included cucumber and tomato salad, radishes with butter and bread, and feta cheese with olives.

I buttered layers of phyllo dough and made triangular cheese borek with an herbed cheese pilaf.

For dessert, we had fresh strawberries with Macadamia brittle ice cream.  Then, I served coffee and tea.

I like simple Mother’s Day Meals.  I like to make them myself, because I cook well and can buy better ingredients than what you get in many restaurants. 

My family gives me money for Mother’s Day, and I buy what I want.  I buy clothes according to purchases made by lessons I learned in books like The Curated Closet: A Simple System for Discovering your Personal Style and Building your Dream Wardrobe by Anuschka Rees.

By Ruth Paget, author of Eating Soup with Chopsticks and Marrying France

Click here for:  Ruth Paget's Amazon Books




Ruth Paget Selfie