Pages

Saturday, June 30, 2018

Visiting Jamestown (Virginia) - The Original Site by Savvy Mom Ruth Paget

Visiting Jamestown (Virginia) – Original Settlement by Savvy Mom Ruth Paget

As we were walking around the stone foundations of homes in Jamestown, I thought of how to define “archaeologist” so a five-year-old girl could understand the term.

“An archaeologist is a person who uses her brain and imagination to show people today how people lived in the past,” I said.

Florence let the word go through one ear and out the other as we walked among the remains at Jamestown.

A statue of Pochahontas fascinated Florence.  Florence had dressed up like Pochanontas one year for Halloween in Wisconsin.  She could not believe she was a real person.

“She was much more interesting in real life than in the film,” I said.

“You will learn about her in the sixth grade,” I said.

“That’s too long to wait!” Florence said.

“Okay.  I’ll find a book at the library about Pochahontas to read to you, but not a cartoon book,” I said.  Some of our favorite outings in Wisconsin had been to the State Historical Society.”

Florence liked the miniature scenes of village life – no doubt, because they looked like dolls.

“Archaeologists play with clay and draw.  It’s not a bad job,” I said, hoping to influence Florence’s career choices.

“I want to be a singer,” Florence said to stop my propaganda for a career I would have liked for myself at one time until I read about forensic anthropology.

Inside the name of one of the original gentleman who founded Jamestown struck me – John Pennington.  He died three months after the founding of the town, so I could not claim to be a direct heir, but a cousin perhaps.

However, it was neat to see my family name in a historic place.  My mother told me that there was a Pennington at Roanoke as well, but I cannot confirm this information with online sources.

The English inheritance system of primogeniture, where the eldest son inherited everything, meant that younger sons had to seek careers in the military, the church, or as merchants in the Americas, Africa, or Asia.

Judging by the number of Pennington descendants in the United States, I would say that the Penningtons and allied families in western England sired many children at Muncaster Castle in Cumbria, where the Penningtons have resided since the thirteenth century. 

(The Penningtons, who are of Norman French descent, were in the army of William the Conqueror.  They are listed in the Domesday Book from 1,000 AD and have also sponsored the building of churches.  Rutherford’s novels Sarum and London talk about the Domesday book.)

Doing family geneaological work had given me much respect for the survival of the Penningtons and other families who were given seeds and guns for hunting and protection as ships from the mother country sailed off to collect the crown’s part of the harvest the following year.

My particular branch of the Penningtons settled in western Virginia (Pennington Gap and Robbins’ Chapel), Lexington (Kentucky), and Kingsport (Tennessee). 

Sir Isaac Penington was the founder of our line and created the Society of Friends Church (Quakers) in England before coming to the U.S. with his son-in-law William Penn. 

By my generation, my father told me non-violence does not always mean pacifism.  My parents were evangelical Pentecostals I think.  (They laughed at my failed efforts at attending a Friends’ School on the East Side of Detroit.)

The Penningtons are original settlers of Virginia, Sons of Liberty, and Daughters of the American Revolution.  I am not sure of our Civil War status, but my southern family has historically been fiscally conservative.

I talked about these topics with Florence as we set out for pizza.  I knew we were original settlers of Virginia, but I was somewhat floored that we were at Jamestown myself.


By Ruth Pennington Paget, author of Eating Soup with Chopsticks and Marrying France

Ruth Paget Selfie