Pages

Friday, June 15, 2018

Going on a Wisconsin Dells Geology Boat Outing with Juilliard Graduate Florence Paget by Savvy Mom Ruth Paget

Going on a Wisconsin Dells – Geology Boat Trip with Juilliard Graduate Florence Paget by Savvy Mom Ruth Paget

My husband, Florence, and I set out for the Wisconsin Dells on the Wisconsin River one summer day when Florence was 5 or 6. 

It looked as if it were going to rain, so we postponed miniature golf and went on a duck boat trip to the Lower Dells.  These are boats on wheels that can go on the road and walk into the water for boating.

I wanted to know more about the history and geology of the area.  I thought there must be lots of fossils in the sandstone along the riverbank.  The rock formations are intriguing and appeared to be worn down by erosion.

One interesting thing I learned about the Native Americans from the postcard I bought was that the Winnebago Tribe, or more correctly, the Ho-Chunk Nation is part of the Sioux Native American Tribe.

Another interesting thing I learned was that many pioneer homes in other states were built with Wisconsin timber.

The homes of Wisconsin’s lumber barons are magnificent and provide competition to many small châteaux in France.  Lumbering and paper mills still provide income for many Wisconsin residents.

The Wisconsin Dells do have lovely red sandstone cliffs made by the Wisconsin River throughout the millennia.  Once children do this educational outing, families often take them to water parks, putt-putt golf terrains, and paint ball arcades around town.

I like the Wisconsin Dells, because of all the activities for children.  Water parks, especially, promote physical prowess, cunning, and fun.  Babies with diapers should not be in them, though.

Anyone who goes down a water slide without racing or screaming is a little dull.  Kids need to have fun exercising, and if you do not want them to eat fast food, you can prepare a delicious picnic lunch for the whole family.

I always scope out picnic areas when I do things with children.  I like to put tablecloths on picnic tables to cut down on insects and make our picnic basket look nice.

I loved the Italian-style, red-rimmed cups and china that went with our basket.  We went to the Wisconsin Dells many times to play putt-putt golf at the Pirates’ Cove miniature golf course.  I still love silly games.


By Ruth Paget, author of Eating Soup with Chopsticks and Marrying France

Click here for:  Ruth Paget's Amazon Books




Ruth Paget Selfie