Pages

Saturday, June 30, 2018

Eating Oysters in Virginia Beach (Virginia) by Savvy Mom Ruth Paget



Eating Oysters in Virginia Beach (Virginia) by Savvy Mom Ruth Paget


Laurent came in and sat down in one of the chairs in our hotel, so Florence could sit in his lap and hug him.  The Navy had taken the edge off skinny dink Laurent’s impatience as well as his waistline.

I was a mommy now and just ate some sundaes and did not care too much, if I gained weight.

“I’m starved” Laurent said.

“What about you, Florence?” Laurent asked as he stood up and threw a squealing Florence up in the air.

“Me, too.  Me, too!” she yelled.

Laurent went to change clothes in the bedroom.  He exchanged his blue dungarees work outfit with his name stenciled on the pocket for a Lacoste shirt and khaki pants.  (Lacoste sponsors the French Open Clay tennis tournament.  Tennis as a sport was created in France.)

When he came out, he folded the dungarees in the way that he learned how to in boot camp, so that it looked like they were ready to go into a package for sale.  (We play acted Free France all the time.)

No one would suspect from our clothes how tight our budget really was.

We set out in our six-year-old, blue Chevy Nova and drove down Shore Avenue through Norfolk and into Virginia Beach.

The fine grain, white sand that blankets Virginia Beach draws tourists from the Northeastern seaboard, who cannot make it down to Miami (Florida).  It is also close to Washington, D.C.

We could not see the sand at night.  We were the only tourists in off-season April prowling the streets.  We opened our windows and let the salty air blow through the car.  The restaurants stayed open in the off-season, which gave us hope to find a seafood place for dinner.

After awhile an oyster bar glimmered through the rain. I felt I was seeing a mirage, because the weather was so bad.  We had not eaten oysters, since our return to the United States.

“Do you think the oysters are fresh,” Laurent asked, meaning “raw” when he said “fresh.”

“They usually are at a bar,” I said.  Laurent turned abruptly into the restaurant’s parking lot.  I hoped they would have a decent children’s menu for Florence.

Wooden benches and tables inside invited us to relax our weary bones.  Laurent and I ordered a dozen raw oysters each.  We ordered glasses of the house Chardonnay from California and awaited our dainty yet pricey supper.  Florence ordered fish sticks.

Our oysters appeared on gnarled, wide shells.  These were not the uniform-sized oysters that are raised in Brittany and Arcachon (Bordeaux), France.  I tried Tabasco sauce on some of the oysters I ordered and liked the way that tasted.

We enjoyed our meal, but both of us said we would seek out crab for our American food epiphanies in the future in the South and maybe lobster in the North.  (I love the Southern chain called Joe’s Crab Shack with its steam pots of crab and sausage.  They make red snapper with chile pepper and cream sauce, too.)

The food and wine made us sleep peacefully.  We woke up at 5 a.m. the next day to take our showers and eat breakfast.  Laurent had to be at work by 7 a.m.

We took I-64 and drove back down I-264 to the tunnel. 6:30 a.m. is rush hour in Norfolk as everyone tries to make the 7 a.m. roll calls.

Lots of cars cut us off as people jockeyed for position.  I wondered how I was ever going to manage freeways when I was still afraid to merge with Suffolk Confederate “bastards.”  (I think I am still the only woman, who has driven on these freeways in Norfolk still.)

This time I located landmarks (the Wu-Tang Klan Rap Star posters in the shipyard.)  The streets around the shipyard had garbage strewn in them and lots of worn out cars with what my family’s Japanese exchange student called “accidentry” when viewing jalopies in Detroit.


By Ruth Pennington Paget, author of Eating Soup with Chopsticks and Marrying France

Click here for:  Ruth Paget's Amazon Books




Ruth Paget Selfie