Pages

Saturday, June 30, 2018

Admiring the White Sands of Virginia Beach (Virginia) by Savvy Mom Ruth Paget

Admiring the White Sands of Virginia Beach (Virginia) by Savvy Mom Ruth Paget

Shore Avenue was by our apartment.  We took it and drove out to Virginia Beach.  The blue Atlantic made me want to go swimming.  It was seventy degrees outside.  I knew the water would be cold even though the air was warm.

 A loud, prolonged banging ripped through the air.

“A jet just broke the sound barrier,” Laurent said.

“We live in Top Gun land,” I said to Florence, so she would feel her neighborhood was cool.

Oceana Naval Air Station was a few miles away from where we were driving on Atlantic Avenue.

“People around here call that the ‘sound of freedom,’” Laurent laughed.

We parked our car by the beach and strolled on the cement boardwalk, but the white sand encouraged us to take off our shoes and walk to the water’s edge.  We must have had “tourist” written all over us.

Florence splashed in the water.  We had to keep her from running right out into it.  Seagulls flew around the beach.  The low sand dunes put up a feeble defense against a hurricane.

The salty air invigorated us.  We went to the commissary hungry and had fun buying all kinds of foods that I would never purchase on a normal shopping trip from Europe.

Back at the house, Laurent made pasta with butter, parmesan chees, and fresh, chopped parsley.  We ate camembert cheese and salad after that.

In my groggy state from sleeping on a hardwood floor in a sleeping bag, I spent the next two weeks doing all those activities that you have to do when you move.

I had the electricity turned on much to Florence’s delight.  She kept opening the refrigerator door just to make sure we had light again.

I had to admit that it was nice to take showers in the morning and not in the afternoon while there would be light in the bathroom.

With the installation of the telephone came my job hunting tool – the phone book.  I wanted to find a job that would fit around Florence’s school schedule.  As backup, I would call a temporary agency, if I could not find a job.

I also wanted to avoid childcare expenses at all costs.  I would end up working for a few dollars, if had to pay a babysitter.

I knew we would have to get babysitting in the summer, but I wanted to make sure we were solvent when school was in session.

Summers just killed us with its childcare expenses.  I wanted to work to be somewhat self-supporting and to have money for some “cultural outings.”  I worried about how to provide stimulating experiences for Florence on so little cash.

With these thoughts crowding my mind, I looked up market research firms.  I had worked for one in Wisconsin and liked the work, which was usually part-time.  I found several and wrote cover letters to two of the larger ones.

I would type the letters once our furniture and belongings arrived.  It was mid-May and Florence was still not in school.  We were waiting on her physical, which she needed before she could begin school.

I had to think about childcare for the summer.  Without childcare, I could not work.  I started panicking.  What if it took the movers took two more weeks to deliver our household goods.

My fretting ended somewhat when our belongings were delivered, which created new problems.  We now lived in a sea of boxes.

We had little furniture.  We sold everything when we moved from France, so we could set up a wine consulting firm in the U.S.   After that, we took care of my mother’s house in Wisconsin for three years.

I had twelve boxes of books and no bookshelves.  The good thing about our slim pickings on the furniture was that the military movers could not break anything.

Filling out damage claim forms is a military procedure that a spouse becomes used to doing as I learned on subsequent moves with the military and as a military civilian.  You learn to photograph and .pdf valuables before they go on a truck.

None of my Haviland dishes broke in the move.  I put them along with all the kitchen gear that I would never part with in the kitchen cabinets.  Renaissance Florentine and Venetian families are still dominant today, because they keep their kitchen equipment, know how to use it, and buy sets for all their children and grandchildren.

I knew where I would stash sherry for cooking, sea salt, Balsamic vinegar (full of vitamin C), and glasses of water to keep parsley fresh.  (My French mother-in-law does this.)

These were my creative implements.  I could eke out fulfilling meals in this kitchen space with many cabinets.  I felt like Catherine de Medici in there at Blois.

By Ruth Pennington Paget, author of Eating Soup with Chopsticks and Marrying France

Click here for:  Ruth Paget's Amazon Books




Ruth Paget Selfie