Relatively Low-Cost Fall Vegetable Sheet Pan Bake by Ruth Paget
Fall vegetables are easy to cook, if you bake them on a sheet pan.
I often made fall vegetables this way when I lived in Wisconsin outside Madison. I would eat them with cheddar cheese on the side and a glass of low-sugar cranberry juice.
I thought I had a pretty good lacto-ovo vegetarian meal this way. There was calcium and protein in the cheese, vitamin C in the cranberry juice, and many nitride in the vegetables. Iron was the one nutrient missing in large quantities in this meal, so I did eat chicken and beef at other meals with the express purpose of obtaining some iron.
The cost of this meal was very low in Wisconsin. I could take one or two of each vegetable and still get a pretty nice meal together.
The following is very loose recipe whose quantities can change depending on what is available at the supermarket or market:
Ingredients:
-1 cup olive oil
-crushed garlic and/or shallots
-potatoes cut into fourths
-carrots cut into fourths
-turnips cut into fourths
-rutabagas cut into fourths
-celery cut into two-inch sections
-red onions cut into fourths
-sea salt
-thyme or herbes de Provence
Steps:
1-Place olive oil and crushed garlic and/or shallots in a large bowl.
2-Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
3-Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
4-Add the chopped vegetables and turn them with a spoon to thoroughly coat them in olive oil and garlic.
5-Place the vegetables on the sheet pan and place them in the oven. Bake the vegetables for ½ hour. Take the vegetables out and place them on a counter. Close the oven door to retain heat. Starting at a top-left edge, begin to methodically turn over every vegetable on an opposite side.
6-Place the vegetables back in the oven and cook for another ½ hour from the time you place them back in the oven.
7-Poke the vegetables with a fork to test for doneness. Carrots, turnips, and rutabagas take the longest to cook. If you want very tender vegetables, cook the vegetables another 15 minutes or finish them up in the microwave.
8-Season with sea salt and thyme leaves or herbes de Provence.
Bon Appétit!
By Ruth Paget
-author Eating Soup with Chopsticks, Marrying France, and Europe’s Lessons written during overseas duty in Germany + 5 other Kindle books
-developer of the Novgorod and Bento War Games + 8 Classical Western Civilization War Games
-developer of food and beverage knowledge games
-creator of online exhibits about Dan Miguel Arcangel Mission, French baguette making,and the Carmel Valley History Center
-writer of 1900+ Central Coadt California lifestyle blogs
-family genealogist
-developer of 9 music theory games