Pages

Tuesday, September 1, 2026

Friday Night Fish Fry at Black Bear Diner in Salinas, California by Ruth Paget

Friday Night Fish Fry at Black Bear Diner in Salinas, California by Ruth Paget 

I thought Friday Night Fish Fry was just an Upper Midwest tradition, but on a recent visit to Black Bear Diner in Salinas (California) I saw Friday Night Fish Fry on the menu and immediately ordered it. 

The fish fry dinner at Black Bear Diner costs $23.59 as of today (8-1-2026) and comes with:

-two large deep-fried Pollock fillets

-French fries with their skins on 

-coleslaw with creamy apple cider and cream dressing (seasonal vegetable choices are offered. I chose coleslaw but the green beans sounded good too.)

-lemon halves 

-creamy tartar sauce 

-3 large hushpuppies (This is a southern addition to the fish fry, but I like them, so I am not complaining.) 

That dinner was just a crunchy, creamy, savory, and sour delight! 

If you like deep-fried white fish, the Friday Night Fish Fry at Black Bear Diner in Salinas, California is definitely for you. 

Note: For information on fish fries as part of local Wisconsin dining, check out my blog on a pre-COVID trip to Wisconsin:

https://ruthpaget.blogspot.com/2022/06/deforest-wisconsin-trip-by-ruth-paget.html?m=1


By Ruth Paget

-author Eating Soup with Chopsticks, Marrying France, and Europe's Lessons written during overseas duty in Germany + 5 other Kindle books

-developer of the Novgorod and Bento War Games + 5 other Kindle books

-developer of food and beverage knowledge games

-creator of online exhibits about San Miguel Arcangel Mission, French baguette buying and the Carmel Valley History Center

-creator of French travel and culture games

-writer of 1900+ Central Coast California lifestyle games

-family genealogist

-developer of 9 music theory games